Employment Scam or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
This one is a bit weird to me. I have been applying to random remote jobs through LinkedIn, and I got a response back for a Front-End Developer. I didn't use the Easy Apply on this job and I am not too sure I even applied. I may have applied on a 3rd party job board.

The company is N2Force. (n2force.com) When I research the company, they have a physical location that I verified with street view. The company itself looks to have an annual revenue of 5 million and it may be a proxy to get H1B visas for Indians. They have been in business for a number of years. When I click through their site, a couple of the links don't work, and they are speaking in corporate jargon. The person who emailed me was using a Hotmail account and wished to conduct an interview by email. This was a huge red flag. The questions looked like things you would see for a front-end developer. Then after they accepted me, a person with an email attached to their domain n2force.com contacted me with the offer letter which seems pretty standard. When I looked into this person, it looked like they were a staffing agency and were placing applicants with various companies. To me this makes sense, kind of like a cheaper version of Revature or a way to secure visas for Indians. What really didn't make sense was the pay. It said $20 in training, a re-evaluation if you meet the standards, then $75 an hour. The $75 would be way too much for a non-senior Front-End Developer. They also are going to send money to setup a remote office.

I am 95% certain it's a scam. There is a slim chance they are a work force supplier. I am not too sure what type of scam. It may be an Identity Theft Scam, but they haven't asked for anything that could be used for that yet. It may be a check scam.

Pyrokinetic

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
As an AML Investgator myself, trust your hunches. Scams will always request you send money or other compensation back. A legit entity will never do that. In this case, the "money" to set up an office is the hook here. They will "accidentally" send too much funds and request the overage back. Uh-huh. Then you will know is scam.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
100% a scam. My sister got taken by such a scam a few month ago. If they aren't willing to do a video interview, they are scamming you. Her story was almost identical just a different line of work. They sent her a check drawn from the account of some small business in California that had nothing to do with the job. They want you to cash the check and then "buy" stuff from a certain vendor to open your home office. They get that money back, and they get your personal info.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding the above.

This part: "Then after they accepted me, a person with an email attached to their domain n2force.com contacted me with the offer letter which seems pretty standard. "

Do another "interview". Good chance that no matter what you will be "accepted".

Also a good scam indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.