News Empty Internet Cafe Turns To Crypto Mining To Survive

Jim90

Distinguished
"Internet Cafe Computer Star revealed that it is switching business model to cryptocurrency mining, stating that profits are higher than the internet cafe business model — and this isn't a crazy thought when you consider that they also sell PC components and so have ready access to RTX 3080s for mining. "

--> "and this isn't a crazy thought when you consider that they also sell PC components and so have ready access to RTX 3080s for mining. "
--> I'm sure their "PC component" customers would like a 'quiet' word!
--> Tom's, why on earth would you air a story as 'insane' - on many levels - as this...???!!!!
--> Perhaps a comment, from the "average Joe's" perspective might be in order?!

--> Would be wise to reconsider all this recent mining free airtime...no?

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
This might seem like a dumb question, but how do they connect that many GPUs to a single motherboard? I can understand two or three, maybe even four, but how do you connect eight GPUs to a single motherboard?

This might seem like a dumb question, but how do they connect that many GPUs to a single motherboard? I can understand two or three, maybe even four, but how do you connect eight GPUs to a single motherboard?
Mining isn't limited by PCIe bandwidth, so they just hook up the cards to an x1 to x16 slot.converter. The converter is just there to provide the data lines while the external x16 slot has external power for the 75W base requirement.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

Each GPU just need 1x PCIE to work. Since CPU has 16-20 PCIE lanes, you can theoretically install 16-20 cards per board. If you use PCIE switches, even more.

Of course, how well it will work is another thing.