[SOLVED] Emulex 10GB Adatpers from NAS to PC not working.

Jul 15, 2019
I have a NAS running UnRaid with a 10gb adapter in it, and a PC running Linux Mint also with an adapter. I have an SFP+ Cable running between them (No outside connection, no switches). I also tried the integrated 1gb ports, also did not work. All I get is a network symbol with "..." in it on Mint. After maybe a minute, I get "Activation of the network connection failed". So it seems like Mint doesn't support direct computer to computer connections, is this right? If so, is there a workaround or fix? It also could be my fault, I have never used 10Gb adapters before, so it could be something as simple as the cable not being compatible.

10GB adapters: Emulex 10GB OCe10100/OCe10102 Series 10GbE
Cable: Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Since you don't have a DHCP server in this point-to-point network, you will have to have a unique static IP config for each of the adapters on a unique subnet. Do you have that?
you can check in ifconfig to see if they are up. configure static ip in the same subnet.
if it's the only interface make it the default one.
double check with ip route or route to make sure there is a route.

iperf3 is good to test speeds.

If you want to add internet using the other nic you can set it up as the default gw then you can use a different subnet for your direct connection and create static routes.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019
Since you don't have a DHCP server in this point-to-point network, you will have to have a unique static IP config for each of the adapters on a unique subnet. Do you have that?
Now I do! I just did that and it works, I can't believe I didn't think of that! Anyways, the Mint computer can see the NAS, and can start transferring files, but after ~300mb it stops, waits for 10 seconds, and then errors and says the connection timed out. Any reason why? The Mint PC's ip is 192.168.1.2 and the NAS' is 192.168.1.3

kanewolf

Titan
Now I do! I just did that and it works, I can't believe I didn't think of that! Anyways, the Mint computer can see the NAS, and can start transferring files, but after ~300mb it stops, waits for 10 seconds, and then errors and says the connection timed out. Any reason why? The Mint PC's ip is 192.168.1.2 and the NAS' is 192.168.1.3
And that 192.168.1.x subnet is different than any other network interfaces on either device ?

Jul 15, 2019
Does it have issues with both read and writing to the NAS or only one direction?
Both directions. Also, I've noticed the orange light on the cards blinking off for about 1 second every 20 seconds or so. I think that means link. The green light is activity and that only blinks when the orange light is on. Is that related to the issue?

Jul 15, 2019
I have never used those specific cards. A Cisco DAC cable might not be compatible. Are you using one card (host) or are you also using one in the NAS?
There is one card in each machine. Since the cable might not be compatible, do you have any recommendations on which one might be? Would fiber be better than copper?