Question Enable all ethernet ports when router and modem not at closet

May 6, 2019
Hello,

New home, pre wired for Ethernet. Previous owners (2 years) had the ports working but unable to contact them. Cables are clearly labeled in closet and attached to a switch. Modem (Motorola MB 8600) and router (Orbi 50) are in other part of home. WiFi is working well. Need to use some of the wired Ethernet ports as well, but can't seem to get them to work. What am I missing? Thank you!

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNTYC9ll8HyVsymVuiL64COpDIK3qmgxd2XlYb4

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP-X0mvANMe7gHOVFvK7hU7pMlI5kZwNmkFImYO

Last edited:
It tends to be easier if the modem/router are in the cabinet but you can get it work. What you need to accomplish is to get a lan port on the router connected to some port on the switch. What should work is hook the router to a wall jack port that goes back to the switch. Would be much simpler if there was only 1 ethernet port rather than the 4 in your photos. If all those go back to the closet any will work but it is a strange thing to run that many ports.

May 6, 2019
It tends to be easier if the modem/router are in the cabinet but you can get it work. What you need to accomplish is to get a lan port on the router connected to some port on the switch. What should work is hook the router to a wall jack port that goes back to the switch. Would be much simpler if there was only 1 ethernet port rather than the 4 in your photos. If all those go back to the closet any will work but it is a strange thing to run that many ports.

Thank you. That is what I thought, so have connected the router lan to the wall jack. On the switch, I see the activity (the second green light showing on the switch) but the wall ports are still not working.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMxji_sWEahqyyyhQ5B2UbSc_i4zp2dpM47nOQT

The ports to the remote rooms should cause some light to come on in the switch even if it does not work. This means you have physical connectivity. What should then happen is the traffic should go between the port to the remote room and the port that goes to the router. It should just work.

I would first try plugging a pc directly into the router to be sure the router and internet work correctly.

After that I am not sure a switch in general is a pretty stupid box. It should just work as though you had a router with more lan ports. I can not see the model number of the switch. Some switches have more features such as vlans that would cause issues. If you switch says it is unmanaged that generally means it is a stupid box. If it is something else generally if you factory reset the device it will function as a dumb unmanged switch by default.

May 6, 2019
The ports to the remote rooms should cause some light to come on in the switch even if it does not work. This means you have physical connectivity. What should then happen is the traffic should go between the port to the remote room and the port that goes to the router. It should just work.

I would first try plugging a pc directly into the router to be sure the router and internet work correctly.

After that I am not sure a switch in general is a pretty stupid box. It should just work as though you had a router with more lan ports. I can not see the model number of the switch. Some switches have more features such as vlans that would cause issues. If you switch says it is unmanaged that generally means it is a stupid box. If it is something else generally if you factory reset the device it will function as a dumb unmanged switch by default.
Thank you. The switch is Luxul xls-1008, unmanaged. Connecting to the router directly with a laptop gives me internet access, and the router is working as a wireless wifi just fine.
There is not reset on the switch. Have unplugged and plugged back with no change.

I feel like it is something simple that is missing, just don't know what.

In routing and switching class one learns troubleshooting by layers. Bottom layer must be operational before next layer will connect.

Layer1, are proper cables used, solidly plugged in? follow topology?
Layer2, what do the LINK lights say, LINK light ON signals layer 2 operational.
Layer3, Do we have IP? can we ping? do we have DNS and GATEWAY?
Layer4 forward are OS related, drivers, Apps.

Getting a 404 on your links for some reason but that Luxul switch gives me pause, not exactly your known brand.

Thank you. That is what I thought, so have connected the router lan to the wall jack. On the switch, I see the activity (the second green light showing on the switch) but the wall ports are still not working.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMxji_sWEahqyyyhQ5B2UbSc_i4zp2dpM47nOQT

What wall jack? Does this wall jack lead to the router connection? Are you using the correct ports, since some switches have an uplink port (usually first or last port) you need to use.

Need a bit better details about exactly what is connected to what and how. Wall jacks don't mean anything if you don't explain how that wall jack is wired. You need a physical cable run connected from your router to the switch, and the cables from the wall jack runs connected to the switch.

TRENDING THREADS