Enable Boot order in BIOS

molsen

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Can anyone help me enable the boot order before I exit and save in BIOS. I'm can't get the parenthesis (disabled) off the device priority 1 -4 boots in order to exit and save and restart to getback to Windows XP with icons and not AVG WatchDog. Thank you for your time.

Solution
Changing the boot settings in bios will only allow you to change the physical boot disk, if you only have one disk, this could be why it is greyed out, if you have more than one disk but only have an OS installed on one then there is no point in booting from a different disk.

You might want to try safe mode (F8) just before windows starts to start up, that might get you to a position where watchdog doesn't start.

molsen

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
I think I accidentally uninstalled a graphics program and my backscreen became distorted and too large. I then played with it and AvgWatchDog came on and since then I somehow stumbled across BIOS Utility Setup and saw everything is boot priority order is disabled - I put it in the correct order with help from Anonymous1 and I can't save it because I can't enable it. I was hoping this would solve the problem If I can exit and save but everything is in parenthesis, which is disabled and I can't get it out of this mode.... Now it's back to AvgWatchdog! Soooo frustrating. All I want to do is get windows xp back w/ icons (I have an older Gateway and a new Dell IN1910N) but this AvgWatchdog has haunted me since I've tried to uninstall AVG! Thanks for responding so quickly - Any advise?

molsen

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
I'm sorry. I'm really frustrated - I've been working on this for the last couple days and I keep getting stuck on the blue AvgWatchdog and once again I'm out of BIOS and back to square 1. I've manually shut down and press F2 to get into BIOS to enable it since it shows enabled and I thought maybe that's why It's blocking my operating system. ??? Is there a key to press to get out of this besides F2 or del? or maybe a plan B :)....Thanks again. :(

Changing the boot settings in bios will only allow you to change the physical boot disk, if you only have one disk, this could be why it is greyed out, if you have more than one disk but only have an OS installed on one then there is no point in booting from a different disk.

You might want to try safe mode (F8) just before windows starts to start up, that might get you to a position where watchdog doesn't start.

Solution

molsen

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

molsen

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

molsen

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Thank you! I hammered F8 and I tried start windows normally and that didn't work then pressed last known w/ good configurations - it turned off rebooted and gave me my icons. (I did set the original order as stated to anonymous1 (not sure if can see that thread) Anyway, I'm back at the screen where I can use the start button and naviate to control the resolutions. I need to set it at 1366 x768 but it wont let me slide past 640 x 480

molsen

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Thanks for all your help. I already restored my desktop to a week ago when all this started happening and now I'm at 1280 x 768 which is fine for me. I don't want to mess with it anymore - I installed slim cleaner and it's speed lightning - Avg won't uninstall and if watchdog comes on again at least I know what to do. (I am going to start a new thread regarding download music video-music only from youtube - If you're interested please join.) Thanks again for the solution.