Question enable/disable turbo boost on an i5 4690?

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
Its stated that an i5 4690 cant be OC'd but turbo boost is enabed, should i disble turbo boost? as its basically an overclock isn't it?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 4690 is a locked processor, so the multiplier cannot be changed.

The turbo is basically an overclock, but its operation is different. In a sense:
Turbo = when the CPU has spare power and the environment permits it to do so, it will 'boost' itself to an increased clock speed for extra performance according to manufacturers testing and specification and then remove this when it is not viable to do so.
OC = when you manually configure and technically take the CPU out of manufacturers specification to get extra performance.

Why would you want to disable it?

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
The 4690 is a locked processor, so the multiplier cannot be changed.

The turbo is basically an overclock, but its operation is different. In a sense:
Turbo = when the CPU has spare power and the environment permits it to do so, it will 'boost' itself to an increased clock speed for extra performance according to manufacturers testing and specification and then remove this when it is not viable to do so.
OC = when you manually configure and technically take the CPU out of manufacturers specification to get extra performance.

Why would you want to disable it?
i wouldnt want to disable it, i havent either was just a bit confused at the difference between OC and turb boost, i thought by enabling turbo boost that was essentially overclocking it. Seeing the enable/disbale in BIOS made me think twice if this chip was ok to do so. But you cleared it up for me, nice one.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah I understand what you mean.

Enabling turbo boost is not exactly the same as overclocking, but it does maximise the performance of your CPU. And frankly the only time I have really come across the need to disable it myself is if temperatures were so high that it warranted doing so.

Glad I could help my friend, just remember to select a best answer if you are happy with the answer so others visiting the forum can see it.

Reactions: Bazzlebrush88