[SOLVED] Enable ethernet ports around the house

Oct 31, 2019
Hello all,

Our house is pre-wired with ethernet ports but most of them seem disabled. I am trying to get them to work but don't know how to go about it. Originally the internet provider hookup the one in our game room - where the router is placed - and it's the only functioning one.
I checked the master bedroom closet and it has all the cat5 cables in the box. Please see the attached photos.
What would I need to get the ports in the other rooms working? Any help will be highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

IMG-3277.jpg

IMG-3278.jpg

Solution
All we can do is provide general guesses. Unless the cables are marked you are going to have to test them.

The other option is to buy a large enough switch and just plug all them into the switch.

First I am unsure what the white patch panel thing in the back is. I suspect it is something for telephone since it say 1,2,3,4. Ethernet you have 8 connections. You likely can remove those wires and plug them into the switch if you do not need telephone.

The switch you have is very basic 100mbps. If you replace it I would go gigabit it only costs less than $5 more. You can get a 8 port 10/100/1000 switch for about $20.

The other thing am not sure what is the wires that are connected with that white coupler that has one wire...
All we can do is provide general guesses. Unless the cables are marked you are going to have to test them.

The other option is to buy a large enough switch and just plug all them into the switch.

First I am unsure what the white patch panel thing in the back is. I suspect it is something for telephone since it say 1,2,3,4. Ethernet you have 8 connections. You likely can remove those wires and plug them into the switch if you do not need telephone.

The switch you have is very basic 100mbps. If you replace it I would go gigabit it only costs less than $5 more. You can get a 8 port 10/100/1000 switch for about $20.

The other thing am not sure what is the wires that are connected with that white coupler that has one wire marked "game"

Now since you said you router is in a remote room and I will assume maybe wrongly that it gets internet via coax cable. What you want in the final install is coax--modem/route---wall jack-----room in photo----switch with all cables going to all room connected.

What you have done is in effect hooked all your rooms to the router with a switch. The only strangeness is the router is not close to the switch which doesn't really matter.

Solution