enable freesync hdmi dvi

srymal

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Hi, I am trying to set up a triple monitor free sync arrangment. My graphics card is a r9 290x. It has 1xhdmi 1xdp and 2xdvi. My monitors are samsung 22 cf390 which support freesync. The monitors only have hdmi and d sub. I have hdmi of card to hdmi of one monitor, and dvi to hdmi cables to the other two monitors. The problem is that 2 of the monitors show up as hdmi in radeon settings with freesync enabled, the third(which is hooked up to dvi) shows as dvi and so it says freesync not supported. eyefinity is working across the monitors just fine. Does the third monitor need to be hooked to the display port to enable frresync? why would one dvi be recognised as hdmi and not the other? Thanks for any help.

srymal

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
I did get everything set up. Radeon settings shows freesync enabled for 2 of the monitors. No matter what I do only 2 monitors show up as hdmi, the shows as DVI. The first time I connected them I had them connected 2x dvi to hdmi and 1x hdmi to hdmi. the hdmi and 1 of the dvi to hdmi show up as hdmi in radeon settings. the ones showing up as hdmi have freesync enabled. So now I disconnected one of the dvi to hdmi and hooked it up as displayport to hdmi. now the other dvi to hdmi shows as dvi and not hdmi. its like this
First setup
connection shows as
dvi to hdmi hdmi freesync enabled
dvi to hdmi dvi freesync not supported
hdmi to hdmi hdmi freesync enabled

second setup
connection shows as
dvi to hdmi dvi freesync not supported (this showed as hdmi till iI switched other monitor to dp)
dp to hdmi hdmi freesync enabled (also this was the connection showing as dvi till i changed it to dp)
hdmi to hdmi hdmi freesync enabled

Do I need an active adapter to make freesync work on all 3 monitors? would I be better off getting an mst hub?