[SOLVED] Enable PBO in ryzen master and undervolt in bios

Feb 1, 2020
I can’t find where to enable PBO in my BIOS so would it be okay to enable PBO in ryzen master and then apply a negative offset voltage in BIOS it will that cause a conflict somehow? I’m running the stock cooler on my R5 2600x so don’t have much room to push more voltage through it.

On another somewhat related note, if anyone has a Gigabyte B450m ds3h motherboard are you able to fine tune any of your CPU voltages (beyond dynamic Vcore and DRAM voltage) in BIOS? I’m running F42e and seem to have very few options for tweaking in my BIOS.

System:
Ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte B450m ds3h wifi rev 1
2x 4gb crucial ballistix 2666
Asrock RX 580 8gb
Corsair CX550

Solution
..My BIOS version (F42e) also isnt listed on the Gigabyte website...
They frequently remove a BIOS if it's not 'good', as in unstable or broken features. F42h, though, logically follows F42e and is based on AGESA 1003ABBA which was released for Ryzen 3000. F42e would be based on 1003ABBA or earlier and only has limited features for 1st or 2nd gen CPU's available as it's purpose is to support an older CPU's when upgrading to a Ryzen 3rd gen.

I'd suggest updating to BIOS F50 that uses AGESA 1004B. That's the 'unification' AGESA release from AMD and good for all (current) Ryzen generations.
I can’t find where to enable PBO in my BIOS so would it be okay to enable PBO in ryzen master and then apply a negative offset voltage in BIOS it will that cause a conflict somehow? I’m running the stock cooler on my R5 2600x so don’t have much room to push more voltage through it.

On another somewhat related note, if anyone has a Gigabyte B450m ds3h motherboard are you able to fine tune any of your CPU voltages (beyond dynamic Vcore and DRAM voltage) in BIOS? I’m running F42e and seem to have very few options for tweaking in my BIOS.

System:
Ryzen 5 2600x
Gigabyte B450m ds3h wifi rev 1
2x 4gb crucial ballistix 2666
Asrock RX 580 8gb
Corsair CX550
I don't have a gigabyte board right now, but my recollection is in BIOS screen there should be a menu called M.I.T, under there Advanced Frequency settings, Advanced Voltage settings and Advanced CPU settings. You should find what you need there.

As I recall, all voltage adjustments were OFFSET adjustment. That is generally best for Ryzen but you have to experiment a bit to see how much offset is needed to get the voltage you desire.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020
I don't have a gigabyte board right now, but my recollection is in BIOS screen there should be a menu called M.I.T, under there Advanced Frequency settings, Advanced Voltage settings and Advanced CPU settings. You should find what you need there.

As I recall, all voltage adjustments were OFFSET adjustment. That is generally best for Ryzen but you have to experiment a bit to see how much offset is needed to get the voltage you desire.
Yeah I've dug into all the different menus and whatnot in MIT and can't find anything. My BIOS version (F42e) also isnt listed on the Gigabyte website so I sent them an email, maybe it has something to do with that

..My BIOS version (F42e) also isnt listed on the Gigabyte website...
They frequently remove a BIOS if it's not 'good', as in unstable or broken features. F42h, though, logically follows F42e and is based on AGESA 1003ABBA which was released for Ryzen 3000. F42e would be based on 1003ABBA or earlier and only has limited features for 1st or 2nd gen CPU's available as it's purpose is to support an older CPU's when upgrading to a Ryzen 3rd gen.

I'd suggest updating to BIOS F50 that uses AGESA 1004B. That's the 'unification' AGESA release from AMD and good for all (current) Ryzen generations.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 1, 2020

Oh okay I'm glad to hear that, the only thing is that I have seen a somewhat concerning number of posts/videos about people bricking the specific motherboard that I have while flashing a new BIOS, most seem to have to do with weird compatibility issues as apposed to user errors. So just so that I am certain, I should be able to flash straight to F50 from F42e correct?

Oh okay I'm glad to hear that, the only thing is that I have seen a somewhat concerning number of posts/videos about people bricking the specific motherboard that I have while flashing a new BIOS, most seem to have to do with weird compatibility issues as apposed to user errors. So just so that I am certain, I should be able to flash straight to F50 from F42e correct?
The only requirement is to go to F32 before F40...but since you're at F42e, you're well beyond that. So I do believe it's a good move going straight to F50 from where you are.

Just follow good practice and you should be safe. First is to do a CMOS reset. Use the BIOS utility for doing the update, not the Windows utility. Make sure the BIOS file is extracted from the archive, correctly named and in the root of the USB stick drive. Don't do it when there are thunderstorms in the area or if you think you may lose power. Make sure your power cord is firmly plugged in before starting. And put the cat out of the room :)

Give it time. It may go and then stop for a while then finish...don't hurry, be patient. Once finished, do another CMOS reset before making any BIOS changes.

The reason for the CMOS resets is because BIOS screens are frequently just a toggle, this will make sure all the settings are coherent with the label in the new BIOS screens.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020
The only requirement is to go to F32 before F40...but since you're at F42e, you're well beyond that. So I do believe it's a good move going straight to F50 from where you are.

Just follow good practice and you should be safe. First is to do a CMOS reset. Use the BIOS utility for doing the update, not the Windows utility. Make sure the BIOS file is extracted from the archive, correctly named and in the root of the USB stick drive. Don't do it when there are thunderstorms in the area or if you think you may lose power. Make sure your power cord is firmly plugged in before starting. And put the cat out of the room :)

Give it time. It may go and then stop for a while then finish...don't hurry, be patient. Once finished, do another CMOS reset before making any BIOS changes.

The reason for the CMOS resets is because BIOS screens are frequently just a toggle, this will make sure all the settings are coherent with the label in the new BIOS screens.
Perfect, and thank you I didn't know about resetting the CMOS!