[SOLVED] Enabled XMP and PC can no longer boot

Aug 21, 2021
I realized recently that I had been running my 16gb Corsair vengeance 3000 mhz at 2133 for a few years. I figured might as well enable XMP late rather than never. I entered the BIOS and did just that. Powered computer on but it would power on for a few seconds before restarting and it did this more than 7 times. I've seen that this is normal but eventually I booted up normally however ram was still at 2133. Downloaded and updated to most recent chipset drivers after having read that somewhere. Went to BIOS again and it said that BIOS settings had been reset, but this time keyboard and mouse were not registering. Switched keyboard from a usb 3.1 port to usb 2.0 and that worked, so I enabled XMP again. Had the same issue with restarting however this time I got a BSOD mentioning kmode exception not handled. PC restarted itself again to continue the restart loop. Got another BSOD saying something about needing installation media to boot at this point. Didn't get the stop code down. After this BSOD my PC would still do the multiple resets but eventually just stay powered on but it wouldn't boot. It doesn't even post if my understanding is correct. Screen stays dark and can't enter BIOS. USB ports also do not seem to be receiving power as my keyboard and mouse are unlit. I guess that means trying installation media won't even work. I have cleared CMOS with the jumper and also removed the battery. No changes. Any help would be appreciated.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x
Memory: Corsair vengeance Lpx 2x8gb 3000mhz
Power: EVGA supernova p2 750

Solution
I realized recently that I had been running my 16gb Corsair vengeance 3000 mhz at 2133 for a few years. I figured might as well enable XMP late rather than never. I entered the BIOS and did just that. Powered computer on but it would power on for a few seconds before restarting and it did this more than 7 times. I've seen that this is normal but eventually I booted up normally however ram was still at 2133. Downloaded and updated to most recent chipset drivers after having read that somewhere. Went to BIOS again and it said that BIOS settings had been reset, but this time keyboard and mouse were not registering. Switched keyboard from a usb 3.1 port to usb 2.0 and that worked, so I enabled XMP again. Had the same issue with...
I realized recently that I had been running my 16gb Corsair vengeance 3000 mhz at 2133 for a few years. I figured might as well enable XMP late rather than never. I entered the BIOS and did just that. Powered computer on but it would power on for a few seconds before restarting and it did this more than 7 times. I've seen that this is normal but eventually I booted up normally however ram was still at 2133. Downloaded and updated to most recent chipset drivers after having read that somewhere. Went to BIOS again and it said that BIOS settings had been reset, but this time keyboard and mouse were not registering. Switched keyboard from a usb 3.1 port to usb 2.0 and that worked, so I enabled XMP again. Had the same issue with restarting however this time I got a BSOD mentioning kmode exception not handled. PC restarted itself again to continue the restart loop. Got another BSOD saying something about needing installation media to boot at this point. Didn't get the stop code down. After this BSOD my PC would still do the multiple resets but eventually just stay powered on but it wouldn't boot. It doesn't even post if my understanding is correct. Screen stays dark and can't enter BIOS. USB ports also do not seem to be receiving power as my keyboard and mouse are unlit. I guess that means trying installation media won't even work. I have cleared CMOS with the jumper and also removed the battery. No changes. Any help would be appreciated.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x
Memory: Corsair vengeance Lpx 2x8gb 3000mhz
Power: EVGA supernova p2 750
You have 2 problems. One is 300 chipset series MB with bad memory architecture and second is 1st gen Ryzen with low speed memory controller, Memory chips that are not Samsung b-die have real problem with speeds higher than 2933MHz.
One thing to try is to update BIOS and if that doesn't help you can try settings manually with help from https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

Solution
Aug 21, 2021
So basically I would need to upgrade to reliably achieve higher memory frequencies then? At this point I would be fine continuing to just use my PC with memory at 2133 but I can't even get into BIOS at this point after trying to enable XMP. Is it possible that I've bricked my Mobo or other component just by trying to enable XMP?

So basically I would need to upgrade to reliably achieve higher memory frequencies then? At this point I would be fine continuing to just use my PC with memory at 2133 but I can't even get into BIOS at this point after trying to enable XMP. Is it possible that I've bricked my Mobo or other component just by trying to enable XMP?
Should be able to get 2933MHz by manual settings with help from that program.
Reset CMOS first.

Aug 21, 2021
I already tried resetting CMOS before. Tried it again with the jumper, also removed the CMOS battery for 12 hours, held the power button for 30+ seconds while the battery was out. Still the same result, PC does not POST. It keeps restarting with USB ports not registering or at least not powering keyboard + mouse. Nothing on display either.

TRENDING THREADS