[SOLVED] Enabling A-XMP leads to PC not booting

sankaritarina

Reputable
Jan 29, 2018
Hey there,

I have bought new RAM and after putting it in, I went into BIOS and selected A-XMP to get the full potential of the sticks. However, after saving and exiting, the computer continues working but there is nothing on the monitor, as if it is stuck in a loop.

Here's my set-up:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP 2.0
be quiet! Pure Power 11 ATX 700W
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

As far as I can see, all my components should be fine with 3200MHz which is what XMP chooses but apparently something is going wrong. For good measure I also checked CPU-Z's SPD tab which also shows me a XMP-3200 with 1.350V for each RAM stick.

Does anyone have an idea what's going wrong here?

Cheers and lovely holidays!

Solution
It's the ram and motherboard combo. Ryzen do NOT like 4x sticks at all. Ryzens use A2 as the primary slot, paired with B2 for dual channel. At full speeds. A1/B1 are secondary slots and squished, they don't like to allow over 2933MHz with a 3000 series cpu. It messes with the Infinity Fabric.

Depending on whether the ram is single or dual RANK , you may or may not get 2933MHz, you might top out at 2666MHz. Very few 4x sticks have successfully attained 3200MHz with a Ryzen and been stable. It usually takes manual inputs and really digging into Infinity Fabric settings, timings etc just to tweak that.

You'll get the 3200MHz, if you just use 2x sticks in...
Reset the motherboard and if available try another XMP profile (e.g. 2933MHz).
See if when selecting the profile the voltage goes from 1.2 to 1.35. If it doesn't then you might need to manually enter the voltage.
You could also enter the timings and voltage manually.
Which BIOS version does the motherboard has?
What's the model of that RAM kit?
Since XMP is OCing, is not guarantee to work every time on every motherboard...even more so with 4 RAM modules.
I have installed up to 3600MHz RAM on that motherboard model, but never 4 modules.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's the ram and motherboard combo. Ryzen do NOT like 4x sticks at all. Ryzens use A2 as the primary slot, paired with B2 for dual channel. At full speeds. A1/B1 are secondary slots and squished, they don't like to allow over 2933MHz with a 3000 series cpu. It messes with the Infinity Fabric.

Depending on whether the ram is single or dual RANK , you may or may not get 2933MHz, you might top out at 2666MHz. Very few 4x sticks have successfully attained 3200MHz with a Ryzen and been stable. It usually takes manual inputs and really digging into Infinity Fabric settings, timings etc just to tweak that.

You'll get the 3200MHz, if you just use 2x sticks in A2/B2, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd return the ram, exchange for 2x32Gb, or settle for 2666MHz/2933MHz out of those 4x16Gb sticks.

Reactions: jojesa
Solution
Dec 26, 2020

You'll get the 3200MHz, if you just use 2x sticks in A2/B2, that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd return the ram, exchange for 2x32Gb, or settle for 2666MHz/2933MHz out of those 4x16Gb sticks.
I had this same problem with 2 kits of (1x8gb 3000mhz vengeance memorys) and i was putting them in A1/B1 and switching them to A2/B2 fixed the problem. Thanks for this usefull information