Enabling AHCI Mode in Windows 10 makes HD Vanish!

chris1479

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
Dear Tomshardware

I have a P67 Fatal1ty updated to the latest bios (it was after updating it that this problem occurred) where, when I enable AHCI mode, both my 250gb Samsung EVO SSD and my 60gb Crucial M4 are detected and function flawlessly.

However my 3tb Seagate drive vanishes: it doesn't even appear in the BIOS after I enable AHCI mode, I have tried checking disk management within my OS (W10) as well as downloading the propietary tools from Seagate themselves but nothing will make my 3tb hard drive reappear.

After disabling AHCI in BIOS and going back to regular IDE for all drives, my 3tb in addition to my SSDs all function correctly - albeit slightly less snappily in the responsiveness department.

This is really annoying and I've run out of ideas so please help me! Thank you!

Solution
You have two different controllers on the motherboard. So yes changing one setting can effect the other. There probably is another setting for the other controller that would have to be changed, too.

Glade to hear it is working now.

chris1479

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I pulled out the 3tb drive from the port it was in and plugged it into a different one, ACHI mode now works and the 3tb drive is detected - all that changed was the bios, i cannot understand how that would've affected the sata ports like that - it worked flawlessly before. Bizarre.

You have two different controllers on the motherboard. So yes changing one setting can effect the other. There probably is another setting for the other controller that would have to be changed, too.

Glade to hear it is working now.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS