[SOLVED] Enabling Onboard Graphics On Dell Optiplex 980

Jun 2, 2020
Hi! I recently upgrade my pc with some new ram and a graphics card. I have a Windows 10, Dell Optiplex 980, Intel i5, 16gb Ram.

I got the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1030 graphics card. The graphics card has a DVI port, and an HDMI port. I got the necessary adapters to connect my dual monitors with VGA to the DVI and HDMI.

The problem is that when both monitors are plugged in to the graphics card, it’s like the system doesn’t know which monitor to display the apps on, so they jump back and forth. One screen goes black, it jumps to the other screen, then that screen goes black, and it goes back to the other screen.

I think the only solution is to run one monitor through the onboard integrated graphics, and the other through the GPU.

I can see that a lot of motherboards allow users to easily open BIOS and enabled onboard graphics which is disabled automatically when a new graphics card is installed.

The issue is, when I open my BIOS, I don’t see the option to do this. My BIOS seems to be different than everyone else’s that I have seen and therefore I can find the option to enable/disable onboard graphics.

I can’t seem to post a picture of my BIOS but I can try again if it would be helpful. Just let me know.

My motherboard is:
Manufacturer:
Dell

Product:
0CT22T

Serial Number:
..CN7360413N00I0

Version:
A04

So my questions are:
  1. Am I opening BIOS correctly on my computer?
  2. Am I missing the setting/can you direct me to the setting to enable/disable onboard graphics?
  3. Will enabling on board graphics and using it for one monitor fix my problem?
  4. Is there anything else I should try or that you would suggest?

I really appreciate all the help I can get. I’ve spent all day trying to fix this issue and don’t really know what else to do. Once again thank you very much.

Thanks,
Jacob

Solution
Unfortunately I returned my DVI adapter. Even if I did do that though, it wouldn’t fix my issue when both monitors are turned on and switching back and forth, would it?
Good, you didn't need the dvi adapter. You can wire DVI directly from the card to the monitor with a DVI cable. Yes, I believe it would.

I believe the problem is that the system doesn't have a 2-way connection to the vga monitor and expects one. And I don't think it can handle 2x vga connections as no one does that these days so they probably dropped support for it. :( It's just an oddball configuration to have 2x vga adapters coming off of an hdmi and dvi, so it is probably outside of design specs. By removing one of these converters and replacing it with...
First, let's make sure your bios setting is correct. Ignore that this article talks about dual cards, and make sure your bios is set to either auto or pcie if there is such a setting:
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...al-ati-video-cards-in-an-optiplex-980?lang=en

Once you've done that, test again. If it doesn't work, try a different slot if possible, and test again. If it still doesn't work, reset the bios, and try again. If it still does not work, set the bios setting correctly again and then connect only 1 monitor. See if it works correctly that way. Shutdown and reboot and then connect the second monitor and extend the display to the second monitor in the display settings.

Specific answers:
  1. Probably. If it is a blue screen with the various options on the left side and the ability to change them on the right, that's the Dell bios layout.
  2. Possibly. See the link above.
  3. No. You cannot run the igpu along side a addin card. It may not have resolved your issue even if you could have.
  4. See above.

Jun 2, 2020
First, let's make sure your bios setting is correct. Ignore that this article talks about dual cards, and make sure your bios is set to either auto or pcie if there is such a setting:
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...al-ati-video-cards-in-an-optiplex-980?lang=en

Once you've done that, test again. If it doesn't work, try a different slot if possible, and test again. If it still doesn't work, reset the bios, and try again. If it still does not work, set the bios setting correctly again and then connect only 1 monitor. See if it works correctly that way. Shutdown and reboot and then connect the second monitor and extend the display to the second monitor in the display settings.

Specific answers:
  1. Probably. If it is a blue screen with the various options on the left side and the ability to change them on the right, that's the Dell bios layout.
  2. Possibly. See the link above.
  3. No. You cannot run the igpu along side a addin card. It may not have resolved your issue even if you could have.
  4. See above.
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. Currently I’m set to the auto setting, and the GPU is in the only slot it will fit in. I have restarted my computer several times. As far as your specific answers, why can’t you run the igpu with the GPU? I’ve seen others do it, why can’t I? Thanks again!

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. Currently I’m set to the auto setting, and the GPU is in the only slot it will fit in. I have restarted my computer several times. As far as your specific answers, why can’t you run the igpu with the GPU? I’ve seen others do it, why can’t I? Thanks again!
Is there an option other than auto? I know some bios versions do, but that may be some later generations (I have optiplexes from several generations so all the bioses get mixed up in my head).

Post a link where you see someone else that has done this so I can figure out they did it. To the best of my knowledge and experience, it is not possible.

Jun 2, 2020
Is there an option other than auto? I know some bios versions do, but that may be some later generations (I have optiplexes from several generations so all the bioses get mixed up in my head).

Post a link where you see someone else that has done this so I can figure out they did it. To the best of my knowledge and experience, it is not possible.
Yes, there is another option. It is called Onboard/Card. Which states, “Use the integrated video controller/Slot 1 first. Assign the primary video controller in the order of onboard/Slot 1, Slot 4, PCI slots.
Which to be honest, I really don’t know what that means, nor how to do that. I’m relatively noobish in the world of computers. As far as I’m concerned, the GPU is in the only spot it will fit.

Here’s the link to someone doin both igpu and GPU:
View: https://youtu.be/Loa-ERZfmZU

Wow, that's a weird setting name, lol. So it's either this or auto? I'd try the onboard/card setting and see if it makes a difference.

That video is not on a Dell system. These don't have the bios that other system have so they can't do certain things other systems can.

Jun 2, 2020
Wow, that's a weird setting name, lol. So it's either this or auto? I'd try the onboard/card setting and see if it makes a difference.

That video is not on a Dell system. These don't have the bios that other system have so they can't do certain things other systems can.
Yeah I tried the other setting and it really didn’t seem to do the trick. And I understand. Was hoping that there would be some comparable setting, but doesn’t seem to be. I think it’s just an issue with my graphics card. Basically, what I think I will have to do is unplug or disable one monitor whenever I want to play a game, then enable it again when I want to go dual monitors. Definitely not convenient, but that might be the only solution unless you can think of something else. If you can’t, that’s okay. I greatly appreciate all the help. I still will leave this thread open in case someone else has any other ideas that might help.

Jun 2, 2020
Depending on the graphic card and the drivers, there should be an option to allow you to 'force' any games to a single monitor. And if you do have to disable a monitor--just turn it off and that should do it--no need to unplug anything. :)
Okay I’ll have to look and see if I can force games to a single monitor. And actually, I can’t just turn it off. The app still tries to switch to the screen that’s off but obviously nothing is displayed on that screen.

Jun 2, 2020
So I tried to change the settings around and go to onboard/card, but still couldn’t get a display on the secondary monitor that is plugged into the onboard.

I’ve taken a video of what exactly happens on my monitors just so that you can get an idea of what I’m seeing.

The video can be seen here:

View: https://m.imgur.com/a/boUwfYr

Someone suggested forcing the game to just one monitor, but I’m not sure how to do that.

Jun 2, 2020
Hi! I recently upgrade my pc with some new ram and a graphics card. I have a Windows 10, Dell Optiplex 980, Intel i5, 16gb Ram.

I got the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1030 graphics card. The graphics card has a DVI port, and an HDMI port. I got the necessary adapters to connect my dual monitors with VGA to the DVI and HDMI.

The problem is that when both monitors are plugged in to the graphics card, it’s like the system doesn’t know which monitor to display the apps on, so they jump back and forth. One screen goes black, it jumps to the other screen, then that screen goes black, and it goes back to the other screen.

I think the only solution is to run one monitor through the onboard integrated graphics, and the other through the GPU.

I can see that a lot of motherboards allow users to easily open BIOS and enabled onboard graphics which is disabled automatically when a new graphics card is installed.

The issue is, when I open my BIOS, I don’t see the option to do this. My BIOS seems to be different than everyone else’s that I have seen and therefore I can find the option to enable/disable onboard graphics.

I can’t seem to post a picture of my BIOS but I can try again if it would be helpful. Just let me know.

My motherboard is:
Manufacturer:
Dell

Product:
0CT22T

Serial Number:
..CN7360413N00I0

Version:
A04

So my questions are:
  1. Am I opening BIOS correctly on my computer?
  2. Am I missing the setting/can you direct me to the setting to enable/disable onboard graphics?
  3. Will enabling on board graphics and using it for one monitor fix my problem?
  4. Is there anything else I should try or that you would suggest?
I really appreciate all the help I can get. I’ve spent all day trying to fix this issue and don’t really know what else to do. Once again thank you very much.

Thanks,
Jacob
Ultimately I ended up trying to order a different GPU, the MSI 1030, that had a DP and HDMI instead of DVI and HDMI.

Despite what the website said, the GPU didn’t fit properly because the heat sink was too large. I tried to remove the heat sink but couldn’t get the card to work properly.

So, I sent back the new card, and kept the first one I bought, the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1030.

While the card won’t allow me to use 2 monitors at the same time, I can still use 1 at a time with a massive performance increase.

Whenever I need dual monitors for work, (10% of the time), I will be removing the GPU and plugging the monitors into the onboard graphics where both can be displayed at the same time.

The situation is not ideal, but I’m happy that I got a good performance increase with this upgrade alongside the new ram, and am quite frankly ready to be done with this mess.

Thank you to everyone who responded and helped out. Your efforts were greatly appreciated and helped me make informed decisions and learn more about computers, so maybe next time I won’t need your help.

Thanks,
Jacob

Ultimately I ended up trying to order a different GPU, the MSI 1030, that had a DP and HDMI instead of DVI and HDMI.

Despite what the website said, the GPU didn’t fit properly because the heat sink was too large. I tried to remove the heat sink but couldn’t get the card to work properly.

So, I sent back the new card, and kept the first one I bought, the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1030.

While the card won’t allow me to use 2 monitors at the same time, I can still use 1 at a time with a massive performance increase.

Whenever I need dual monitors for work, (10% of the time), I will be removing the GPU and plugging the monitors into the onboard graphics where both can be displayed at the same time.

The situation is not ideal, but I’m happy that I got a good performance increase with this upgrade alongside the new ram, and am quite frankly ready to be done with this mess.

Thank you to everyone who responded and helped out. Your efforts were greatly appreciated and helped me make informed decisions and learn more about computers, so maybe next time I won’t need your help.

Thanks,
Jacob
Ugh, that's frustrating. :(

So if the converters you're using are active, that's the issue because the computer doesn't know the monitor has been turned off. Now, that being said, if your monitors can accept inputs other than vga, we can probably solve the issue by converting to something other than vga or connecting directly.

Hang in there! I know there's a solution. :)

Jun 2, 2020
Ugh, that's frustrating. :(

So if the converters you're using are active, that's the issue because the computer doesn't know the monitor has been turned off. Now, that being said, if your monitors can accept inputs other than vga, we can probably solve the issue by converting to something other than vga or connecting directly.

Hang in there! I know there's a solution. :)
Yeah they are both powered (active). And the monitors only accept VGA I believe.

Primary has VGI/DVI and secondary has only VGA.
Would it be possible to swap these? Because the DVI monitor when connected DVI from the video card and turned off will no longer be available in the system so it will not try to use it. But since the other monitor will be connected via the hdmi to vga converter, it will always show as being available and will only disappear when the hdmi converter is connected/powered down.

Jun 2, 2020
Unfortunately I returned my DVI adapter. Even if I did do that though, it wouldn’t fix my issue when both monitors are turned on and switching back and forth, would it?