[SOLVED] Enabling Onboard Graphics On Dell Optiplex 980

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 2, 2020
Hi! I recently upgrade my pc with some new ram and a graphics card. I have a Windows 10, Dell Optiplex 980, Intel i5, 16gb Ram.

I got the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1030 graphics card. The graphics card has a DVI port, and an HDMI port. I got the necessary adapters to connect my dual monitors with VGA to the DVI and HDMI.

The problem is that when both monitors are plugged in to the graphics card, it’s like the system doesn’t know which monitor to display the apps on, so they jump back and forth. One screen goes black, it jumps to the other screen, then that screen goes black, and it goes back to the other screen.

I think the only solution is to run one monitor through the onboard integrated graphics, and the other through the GPU.

I can see that a lot of motherboards allow users to easily open BIOS and enabled onboard graphics which is disabled automatically when a new graphics card is installed.

The issue is, when I open my BIOS, I don’t see the option to do this. My BIOS seems to be different than everyone else’s that I have seen and therefore I can find the option to enable/disable onboard graphics.

I can’t seem to post a picture of my BIOS but I can try again if it would be helpful. Just let me know.

My motherboard is:
Manufacturer:
Dell

Product:
0CT22T

Serial Number:
..CN7360413N00I0

Version:
A04

So my questions are:
  1. Am I opening BIOS correctly on my computer?
  2. Am I missing the setting/can you direct me to the setting to enable/disable onboard graphics?
  3. Will enabling on board graphics and using it for one monitor fix my problem?
  4. Is there anything else I should try or that you would suggest?

I really appreciate all the help I can get. I’ve spent all day trying to fix this issue and don’t really know what else to do. Once again thank you very much.

Thanks,
Jacob

Solution
Unfortunately I returned my DVI adapter. Even if I did do that though, it wouldn’t fix my issue when both monitors are turned on and switching back and forth, would it?
Good, you didn't need the dvi adapter. You can wire DVI directly from the card to the monitor with a DVI cable. Yes, I believe it would.

I believe the problem is that the system doesn't have a 2-way connection to the vga monitor and expects one. And I don't think it can handle 2x vga connections as no one does that these days so they probably dropped support for it. :( It's just an oddball configuration to have 2x vga adapters coming off of an hdmi and dvi, so it is probably outside of design specs. By removing one of these converters and replacing it with...
Unfortunately I returned my DVI adapter. Even if I did do that though, it wouldn’t fix my issue when both monitors are turned on and switching back and forth, would it?
Good, you didn't need the dvi adapter. You can wire DVI directly from the card to the monitor with a DVI cable. Yes, I believe it would.

I believe the problem is that the system doesn't have a 2-way connection to the vga monitor and expects one. And I don't think it can handle 2x vga connections as no one does that these days so they probably dropped support for it. :( It's just an oddball configuration to have 2x vga adapters coming off of an hdmi and dvi, so it is probably outside of design specs. By removing one of these converters and replacing it with something it expects--a direct dvi connection, I think it will help things to work better or more manageable than having to install a remove a gpu each time you want 2x monitors.

Solution
Jun 2, 2020
Gotcha. That would make a lot of sense. I’m going to search around for a DVI cord and if I can’t find one I’ll order one. I’ll let you know. Thanks!

Jun 2, 2020
So the DVI cord arrived today, and I tried to plug it in and then tried to plug the HDMI in as well. Problem is, the black casings surrounding the cords were too big and therefore they both couldn’t fit into the slot because the two slots are too close together on the GPU. I was considering trying to melt/file down part of the dvi cord so they could both fit. Do you think this is a good idea?

Jun 2, 2020
IT WORKED!!! I used the DVI cord for one monitor and the VGA to HDMI adapter for the other. Turned it on and got both monitors back without apps jumping back and forth! You are a life saver! Thank you so so much for the endless suggestions!