Question Enabling secure boot has bricked PC ?

Aug 31, 2021
Hey everyone, i wanted to install W11 and enabled secure boot. And now my pc starts, does a weird thing where all rgb light peripherals flash every few seconds and there is no signal on the monitor. I tried resetting BIOS via the battery and using the jumpers, it did not work. I tried switching through ram sticks, having just one plugged and nothing.

My specs:
i5-10400f
RX 580
16GB Ram
H410M S2H mobo

Aug 31, 2021
Try to connect your GPU to monitor by HDMI, or get from AMD a UEFI firmware for DisplayPort.
I am using HDMI ports only, as i have no other ports in my monitors except for VGA which this GPU does not support. However i tried booting without the GPU and the endless boot cycle seemed to not occur. Buuut i have no image that way. Will try with a different GPU.

Aug 31, 2021
Duh, sorry you are correct. What drive/s /ssd'sdo you have?
I have a NVME Ssd and 3 hard drives. I tried unplugging everything, just SSD and just HDD’s and nothing. GPU seems to be the issue here. I tried it with a friends GTX970 and it entered the same boot loophole. Boots fine when GPU is unplugged. Problem is, both GPU’s work just fine, so its not that. I think Secure Boot somehow survived the CMOS reset and is blocking boot when the GPU is plugged in.

Endre

Reputable
this happens with gigabyte boards. gigabyte need to adress this. too much gigabyte mobos getting bricked.

I had no issue turning on Secure Boot and enabling Intel PTT on my Z390 Aorus Master.

Sometimes, motherboads get bricked because the users aren’t following closely the exact steps of a certain procedure
(•Load BIOS defaults/ Save/ Restart/ •Disable CSM/ Save/ Restart/ •Restore Factory Keys/ Enable Secure Boot/ Save/ Restart/ •Enable PTT/ Save/ Restart/ etc.)

Jun 29, 2021
I had no issue turning on Secure Boot and enabling Intel PTT on my Z390 Aorus Master.

Sometimes, motherboads get bricked because the users aren’t following closely the exact steps of a certain procedure
(•Load BIOS defaults/ Save/ Restart/ •Disable CSM/ Save/ Restart/ •Restore Factory Keys/ Enable Secure Boot/ Save/ Restart/ •Enable PTT/ Save/ Restart/ etc.)
i dont care mobo shouldn't allow user to make it brick if this is going to be a requirement for windows 11

Jun 29, 2021
I believe that in the future, as Windows 11 will become available officially, vendors will release BIOS updates that will allow users to enable all of those steps required by Win11 with only one click.
(“Windows 11 Mode” or something).
i just installed w11 without secure boot enabled and it works lmao i dont know why but yeah

Oct 5, 2021
I get the answer from GigaByte:

Dear customer,
Thank you for emailing GIGABYTE.
We would like to help you with your technical inquiry.

Please try a full reset of the motherboard:
Note: This reset will also set all bios values to default values.

Switch off power supply and wait 30 s
Remove CMOS battery.
Short-circuit the contacts in the battery holder for about 2s.
Remove short-circuit.
Reinstall CMOS battery.
Turn on the PSU switch.
Short-circuit the two pins of Clear CMOS jumper for 10 s.
Remove short-circuit.

Power up the system and boot to bios setup.
Apply your bios settings if you use other bios settings than default bios settings.
If the system still can not boot:
Check each memory module as single module on the motherboard.
Check with other power supply.
The power supply should match ATX 12V standard v.2.4 or better.

Regards

GIGABYTE Team

Please note that i RMA-ed the motherboard and didn't try suggested from GigaByte!

Brgds!

Aug 31, 2021
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies... After trying all sorts of stuff i gave up and gave the mobo to warranty... Came back 10 days later and they said they just resetted the bios which i thought i did 10 times or more lol. I am currently using W11 it's all fine but i can't play valorant because for some reason that game needs secure boot to be open. I just can't be bothered to go through all that just to play a mediocre game with my friends :rolleyes:

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Jan 11, 2022
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies... After trying all sorts of stuff i gave up and gave the mobo to warranty... Came back 10 days later and they said they just resetted the bios which i thought i did 10 times or more lol. I am currently using W11 it's all fine but i can't play valorant because for some reason that game needs secure boot to be open. I just can't be bothered to go through all that just to play a mediocre game with my friends :rolleyes:
Yes, I had the same problem, you would have tried clearing CMOS which doesn't actually fix the problem, When I fixed my pc I had to flash my bios which reset it back to the default, I had done this with a CH431a programmer which was a very cheap fix.

Your motherboard like mine probably only has the main BIOS chip without a backup BIOS chip which means it wouldn't have fixed itself on its own.