Enabling Solo 1100 Hibernate Mode

Does anyone know how to enable Hibernate mode on a Gateway Solo 1100?

I bought my Solo 1100 used. It had a wiped hard drive and no system
restore disks or anything. I reloaded the OS using a generic OEM
Windows 98SE CD. When I go to the Control Panel's Power Management
application, though, there's no "Hibernate" tab available so I can't
enable hibernate support.

All of the on-line documentation available on the Gateway website
indicates that the system originally shipped with Windows 98 and had
Hibernate support.

I tried using the Gateway "chat" technical support option to see if
anyone could tell me how to do it, but after the usual scripted
upgrade to the latest BIOS - already did), one support tech insisted
that the Solo 1100 doesn't support Hibernate (contradicting the
on-line documentation on the Gateway site) and another insisted that
Windows 98 doesn't support Hibernate (again contradicting the on-line
documentation on the Gateway site and another article that I found on
the Microsoft site).

Does anyone have any idea how I can get Hibernate working?

Most of the older systems have to have a partition in the hard drive,
usually created with a utility called phdisk, that is used to hold the
memory contents during hibernation.

"Thomas Lew" <dejatom2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know how to enable Hibernate mode on a Gateway Solo 1100?
>
> I bought my Solo 1100 used. It had a wiped hard drive and no system
> restore disks or anything. I reloaded the OS using a generic OEM
> Windows 98SE CD. When I go to the Control Panel's Power Management
> application, though, there's no "Hibernate" tab available so I can't
> enable hibernate support.
>
> All of the on-line documentation available on the Gateway website
> indicates that the system originally shipped with Windows 98 and had
> Hibernate support.
>
> I tried using the Gateway "chat" technical support option to see if
> anyone could tell me how to do it, but after the usual scripted
> upgrade to the latest BIOS - already did), one support tech insisted
> that the Solo 1100 doesn't support Hibernate (contradicting the
> on-line documentation on the Gateway site) and another insisted that
> Windows 98 doesn't support Hibernate (again contradicting the on-line
> documentation on the Gateway site and another article that I found on
> the Microsoft site).
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I can get Hibernate working?

Thanks for the response.

I located a copy of phdisk.exe (version 4.6 was the most recent I
could find) on the net and used it to create a partition on my new
drive; the program seemd to work "as designed" and created a 66MB
non-DOS partition (there's 64MB RAM in the machine). I then used
fdisk to make a primary partition out of the remaining space on the
drive, reformatted it, and re-installed Windows 98SE again.

I still don't get a "Hibernate" tab in the Power Management
application. Does anyone know if a similar but different application
was shipped with the Solo 1100? Or is something else / additional
required on a Solo 1100 to enable Hibernate?