Question Enabling SVM /HYPER- V reduces Ram frequency and CPU multiplier ? Ryzen Master Bugs ?

Jayant Arora

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
HI Guys,

I have Ryzen 3700X and Gskill 3600MHZ memory.
My issue is supposed to be on AMD support pages but surprisingly they haven't resolved it being a known issue for so long. No one is seemed to bothered about it either.
I needed virtualization support so i went to bios and turned it on. Also enabled Hyper-V from windows features as required by VMs. Well i ran into some issues:

1. Ryzen Master stopped working shows error and asks to "Disable VBS", which i did but no affect, it still doesn't work. As per AMD forums the bug started after v1.3 release and now it's 2.1 and it's still there.
Ultimately I cannot run VMs and Ryzen Master together, either i disable SVM permanently from BIOS and Windows to run it, but then i loose VMs support. I don't want to choose one, i want both. Funny thing is it sounds like either i can be a Gamer or a Developer!! Red Pill / Blue Pill Scenario ;)

2. Secondly CPU-Z shows minor but noticeable reduced frequencies on RAM and CPU when SVM is ON :

SVM/HYPER-V OFF - CPU 3659 - 4221-4319 and 4391[bursts] Mhz[CPU Multiplier max 99.8]
SVM/HYPER-V OFF - RAM 1796.4 [stable] Mhz[3600Mhz effective]

SVM/HYPER-V ON- CPU 3659 - 4221-4250 Mhz [CPU Multiplier max 97.3] [No Bursts to 4391Mhz]
SVM/HYPER-V ON- RAM 1747 - 1777[on load] Mhz [effective 3554Mhz]

With SVM ON seems like latest 1.0.0.3 ABBA update ain't working or not handled by devs with SVM ON scenario,
CPU multiplier is reduced by 1-2, Ram frequency is reduced by 45 MHZ.

Well on benchmarks there's 1-2% reduction on scores also confirms this.

If any one has any info Please help.

If there are some known issues with Ryzen Master and Win10 running as a special VM within HyperV's , then there are issues...

Alas, once you've added the Hyper-V 'role', your Win10 is secretly transformed into just a 'run me first' VM, despite it seeming to be 'just a role' that was added.

I'd get an extra SSD, one with Hyper-V, one without. and simply dual boot if it is important to you, or, learn to scrape by with your aforementioned 1-2% reduction...

CPU multiplier is reduced by 1-2, Ram frequency is reduced by 45 MHZ.

Well on benchmarks there's 1-2% reduction on scores also confirms this.

If any one has any info Please help.

The bus clock is what's been reduced in speed... when the bus clock is reduced the whole system is reduced right along with it since it is the reference for everything. Happened to me too, but if you need VM's that's the overhead that comes with it.

Reactions: Jayant Arora