Enabling XMP makes Windows only recognize half the installed RAM!

Edge091493

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
I have 2x8 RAM installed right now. If XMP is disabled, CPU-Z and Windows recognize the whole 16gig memory but if it's enabled, Windows only recognizes 8gig memory while CPU-Z still sees the full capacity. Is this a normal thing if XMP is turned on?

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300)
MOBO: MSI Z170A GAMING M5
CPU: Intel i5 6600k

Solution
sound to me one of the xmp chip on one of your ram stick is faulty, test this by only using one stick of ram in your system enable xmp if it recognizes the 8Gb your good, then swap the ram for other stick, if it doesn't that ram xmp is faulty, if it does, then leave that ram in that slot and put the other ram in the other slot and see if it fails to recognize the full ram again it possible could be a controller to the memory slot that is acting out I guess.
sound to me one of the xmp chip on one of your ram stick is faulty, test this by only using one stick of ram in your system enable xmp if it recognizes the 8Gb your good, then swap the ram for other stick, if it doesn't that ram xmp is faulty, if it does, then leave that ram in that slot and put the other ram in the other slot and see if it fails to recognize the full ram again it possible could be a controller to the memory slot that is acting out I guess.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Er what? There is no such thing as an XMP chip.

All ram has whats called an SPD chip that holds information about the ram and what settings it can handle, such as XMP. Its literally an informational part only and has no relation to the operation of the memory.

This is likely an issue with the motherboard itself, could be a bent pin, could be that the memory is bad itself. Could be the profile doesn't work on that board, so entering the settings manually may work.

Edge091493

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

I'm at work right now, so I'll try those as soon as I get home. For the meantime, hope this gives a clue:
https://imgur.com/a/xYIxU