Question Enabling XMP screws up CPU temp on motherboard ?

authoritah

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013
Enabling XMP makes the CPU temprature on the motherboard stuck and that affects the CPU and system fans. I've created two scenarios where I'm stressing the CPU on both with the CPU-Z stress CPU tool.

Scenario 1: XMP diabled

View: https://imgur.com/lXq7hxU

The CPU (Tctl/Tdie) temprature corresponds with the CPU temp under the motherboard, both at 71C. The fan headers seem to be working on that temprature and based on the profile the CPU fan is at 1997 RPM.

Scenario 2: XMP enabled

View: https://imgur.com/kO3Gwkb

The CPU (Tctl/Tdie) temprature doesn't correspond with the CPU temp under the motherboard. The CPU (Tctl/Tdie) is at 72C while the one on motherboard is at 56C. Now the fan is running at 1445 RPM thinking the CPU temp is 56C. This will stay stuck at 56C throughout now regardless of whetherI'm stressing the CPU or idling. Basically the fans never change speed and that's a problem.

How do I fix this? Brand new PC I just built myself.

Processor: Ryzen 7 5700G
RAM: 32 GB 16x2 Patriot Viper Steel 3600 MHz PVS432G360C8K
MB: B550I AORUS PRO AX (BIOS: F14)
GPU: Onboard graphics

I noticed the problem first using Gigabyte's SIV. The CPU temp would be stuck at like 55C or 58C no matter what I threw at it. Then I uninstalled that software and tried using Smart Fan in the BIOS. Anyway trying different things and settings led me to realize that the probelem would occur when XMP was enabled.

I hope the MB isn't faulty or something. Please let me know how I can fix this. Sucks to use RAM at 2133 MHz when I paid for 3600 MHz.

Thanks

Last edited:

authoritah

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013
Using F14 BIOS version, the latest. Updated in main post as well. i have not tried changing the frequency and voltage manually, never overclocked before but I'm comfortable to try if you can guide me through it.

authoritah

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013
I did manually change the frequency to 3600 with XMP off. The same problem persists. It didn't for 2400 though. Haven't tried other frequencies yet.
Are the SOC volatages too high with XMP enabled?