Question Enclosure + HDD Compatibility, or Something Wrong with My laptop/Desktop?

Jan 13, 2022
So, I have some external hard drive, and test them with all my desktop/laptop ports. And there's weird result.

Can you explain why it happen? Why some of my HDD fail in one port and success in another port (Read detail below)?

Test method: launch crystaldiskmark and copy 10GB files.
PASS mean PASS, no problem in copy and cdm test
MOSTLY FAIL means it randomly stuck, freeze, drop to 0kbps, lag, etc

Desktop
ASUS TUF Gaming B560M PLUS
  • 4 x USB 2.0
    • All hard drive PASS the test
  • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Blue port)
    • Hitachi Touro 2TB = PASS
    • WD MY Passport 2TB = PASS
    • Adata enclosure + HGST 500GB = PASS
    • Adata enclosure + WD Blue 1TB = MOSTLY FAIL
    • Orico enclosure + HGST 500GB = MOSTLY FAIL
    • Orico enclosure + WD Blue 1TB = MOSTLY FAIL
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C
    • Same like 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Blue port)
  • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (Red port)
    • All hard drive PASS the test

Laptop
ASUS x441UBR
  • 1 x USB 3 (Dont know what version)
    • Hitachi Touro 2TB = PASS
    • WD MY Passport 2TB = PASS
    • Adata enclosure + HGST 500GB = PASS
    • Adata enclosure + WD Blue 1TB = MOSTLY FAIL
    • Orico enclosure + HGST 500GB = FORGOT, I THINK IT'S PASS
    • Orico enclosure + WD Blue 1TB = PASS
  • 1 x USB Type-C
    • Same result like 1 x USB 3
I've test all drive health and surface test, and all normal.

So you have more than one model? Can you list the models and basic speccs? Does all your external drives behave exactly the same on all usb ports ?

What file system on the HDD's? How much space left? What are the s.m.a.r.t. readings of each? If connected to a port you know it always work on, does it pass file system (chkdisk - or just launch form file explorer) test

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022
What file system on the HDD's? How much space left? What are the s.m.a.r.t. readings of each? If connected to a port you know it always work on, does it pass file system (chkdisk - or just launch form file explorer) test
What file system on the HDD's? NTFS
How much space left? I forgot, it's large enough, at least more than 20GB. Especially WD Blue 1TB 2,5", it's new.
What are the s.m.a.r.t. readings of each? not check for details, but it's all 100% and PERFECT in hdd sentinel health status, and there's no bad sector in surface test.
If connected to a port you know it always work on, does it pass file system (chkdisk - or just launch form file explorer) test. I only test them with copy a large file, 6 x 2GiB CrystalDiskMark while play video inside that hdd (to test stuck or not).

As a general rule, when usb devices fail its because of insufficient power/wattage to the usb device. You should be using enclosures which have their own external power source.
Of couse, that's it - the red/orange USB3 port indicate it support more power.
Ok lets focus in the main trouble, the port in desktop (blue), laptop (type-c), and drive. I think it's not power issue. Here's the list (Read mean trouble, green mean no trouble)
  • Desktop Blue Port
    • Hitachi Touro 2TB
    • WD My Passport Ultra 2TB
    • ADATA ED600 (enclosure) + HGST 500GB 2,5" <-- if there's power issue, these drives can't pass my test right? But it can, and not only one. I try them many times.
    • Orico 2577U3 (enclosure) + HGST 500GB 2,5"
    • Orico 2577U3 (enclosure) + WD Blue 1TB 2,5" <-- same enclosure (orico), different hdd, all fail. First I think it's Orico's fault, but it's not (imo). Because Orico run well in my laptop (see below).
    • ADATA ED600 (enclosure) + WD Blue 1TB 2,5" <-- WD Blue always fail in this port. I this hdd is the culprit. But i'm wrong because it run well in laptop with orico enclosure.
  • Laptop Type-C Port
    • Hitachi Touro 2TB
    • ADATA ED600 (enclosure) + HGST 500GB 2,5"
    • ADATA ED600 (enclosure) + WD Blue 1TB 2,5"
    • Orico 2577U3 (enclosure) + HGST 500GB 2,5"
    • Orico 2577U3 (enclosure) + WD Blue 1TB 2,5"
Too complicated, thats why I'm confused

UPDATE: After see my own colored post for desktop port, I assume that Orico enclosure OR WD Blue is the culprit because they always fail. But then I realise that Orico and WD always success in my laptop. So, I cant think anymore.

Last edited:
Well, let' s think abut this.

A given USB port can deliver a certain amount of power. If a device draws more power, then one should assume if the usb +5V is provided by the internal voltage regulator (should be placed on mainboard somewhere) should cut the power. Now, I believe none mainboard manufacturers waste money to spend one such regulator for each usb port.

Therefore - this leads to a new question:
When you experiences the failure, do you notice any other device operating not fully functional, if only for a brief moment ?

If not, try to plug in a "dummy device" in the USB port next to the one connected to the hdd enclosure. This may be a keyboard or anything that may visually malfunction if loose power. A usb thumb drive probably get broken by this, so not try with one unless you're about to toss it anyway nor having any important files stored on it.

Jan 13, 2022
Well, let' s think abut this.

A given USB port can deliver a certain amount of power. If a device draws more power, then one should assume if the usb +5V is provided by the internal voltage regulator (should be placed on mainboard somewhere) should cut the power. Now, I believe none mainboard manufacturers waste money to spend one such regulator for each usb port.

Therefore - this leads to a new question:
When you experiences the failure, do you notice any other device operating not fully functional, if only for a brief moment ?

If not, try to plug in a "dummy device" in the USB port next to the one connected to the hdd enclosure. This may be a keyboard or anything that may visually malfunction if loose power. A usb thumb drive probably get broken by this, so not try with one unless you're about to toss it anyway nor having any important files stored on it.
Everytime I connect the drive, problem occur. Sometimes it normal, but maybe 1:10

To be clear, before this I only have WD My Passport, Hitachi Touro, and Adata ED600 + HGST. No problem at all, both in blue port desktop and laptop. My laptop is maybe 3 years old, and my motherboard (desktop) is new, less then 6 month maybe.

And this madness happen after I buy Orico enclosure and WD Blue 1TB 2,5". I want to use Adata ED600 + new WD Blue, and Orico as backup if ADATA fail someday. But it ends like my colored post above.

Now, as you suggested, I use all two usb blue port with the one and only survived device ADATA ED600 + HGST, combine with other things. And this is the result:
  • ADATA ED600 + HGST (Port 1) & Mouse (Port 2) = Copy file to hdd (speed above 90MBps) > Run crystal disk mark + run a video inside hgst drive + open browser with mouse = PASS.
  • ADATA ED600 + HGST (Port 1) & Keyboard (Port 2) = Copy file to hdd (speed above 90MBps) > Run crystal disk mark + run a video inside hgst drive + reply this post = PASS.
  • ADATA ED600 + HGST (Port 1) & USB Flash Drive (Port 2) = Copy file to hdd (speed above 90MBps) > Run crystal disk mark + run a video inside hgst drive + scan hgst with antivirus + open pdf file in usb drive = PASS.
No problem at all, no lag, no freeze, speed maximum above 90 until 100MBps when copy a file. Crystal disk mark good result. No disconnected device or "USB not recognised". All normal without malfunction.

I start to think, maybe it's only my nonsense bad luck and no need explanation :(

Ralston18

Titan
Doubt that it is nonsense bad luck.

Seconding @Grobe and @dwd999 with respect to USB power.

Some of those USB external drive devices are likely in need of more power than may be listed in specs. Likely that the power requirements were established in ideal laboratory, testing environments. And the laptop's ability to provide USB power may be becoming an issue.....

FYI:

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-powered-nonpowered-usb-hubs-71272.html

An older link (2 years) but will serve as a general explanation regarding USB ports, power, etc..

[Note: There are other similar links to be found so do additional research as you deem appropriate.]

If at all possible obtain an independently/self powered USB 3.0 hub. Do some testing - just be methodical and keep notes (red/green) much as you have already done.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Jan 13, 2022
Doubt that it is nonsense bad luck.

Seconding @Grobe and @dwd999 with respect to USB power.

Some of those USB external drive devices are likely in need of more power than may be listed in specs. Likely that the power requirements were established in ideal laboratory, testing environments. And the laptop's ability to provide USB power may be becoming an issue.....

FYI:

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-powered-nonpowered-usb-hubs-71272.html

An older link (2 years) but will serve as a general explanation regarding USB ports, power, etc..

[Note: There are other similar links to be found so do additional research as you deem appropriate.]

If at all possible obtain an independently/self powered USB 3.0 hub. Do some testing - just be methodical and keep notes (red/green) much as you have already done.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Unfortunately I cant obtain that slef powered usb hub, but lets back to my colored test, I have some tought that lead to more confusing things

Desktop Blue Port
  • Hitachi Touro 2TB
  • ADATA ED600 (enclosure) + HGST 500GB 2,5" <-- we can assume this HGST drive compatible with my usb blue port right? doesnt need big power because it runs well without trouble.
  • Orico 2577U3 (enclosure) + HGST 500GB 2,5" <-- but now it lag and drop when using it with different enclosure
  • ADATA ED600 (enclosure) + WD Blue 1TB 2,5"
And I found Orico specification that tell it has some kind of protection: https://www.orico.me/product/orico-2-5-inch-usb3-0-external-hard-drive-enclosure-2577u3/ I dont know its one of the factor or not

And when I think about it, I remember that in my laptop:
  • Laptop Type-C Port
    • Hitachi Touro 2TB
    • ADATA ED600 (enclosure) + HGST 500GB 2,5"
    • ADATA ED600 (enclosure) + WD Blue 1TB 2,5" <-- adata is the one who get trouble, not orico
    • Orico 2577U3 (enclosure) + HGST 500GB 2,5" <-- and orico run well here

Last edited: