Question Enclosure HDD not getting detected after putting in Caddy

fyodor0137

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
Okay, so this is going to be a complicated post -
- HDD Momentus - This HDD was installed in my laptop as OS drive and still has OS installed on it.

- HDD Orico - This is an HDD taken from an older system and I was using it as external HDD in an Orico enclosure. This drive has some personal docs, Movies, Pics only.

- 860Evo SSD - I recently bought this SSD and replaced the Momentus.

I cloned Momentus onto 860Evo and then installed 860Evo in my laptop. Then I tried to install Momentus in a Caddy as a storage drive but it wouldn't detect. So to check if the Caddy is working correct, I tried installing Orico via Caddy but that didn't detect either.
So I put the Orico back into enclosure but now that isn't showing up in 'This PC' or Disk Management at all but is getting detected as 'NS1068' in Devices and Printers. This Orico drive was working smoothly before this. Then I put Momentus in enclosure and connect to laptop, it doesn't show anywhere except Devices and Printers under same name 'NS1068' and responds to nothing.

Also -
When I put Orico in enclosure and connect, there is just a stable Blue light on enclosure (and no blinking red light - which means the drive isn't running?) and..
when I put Momentus in enclosure, there is stable blue light and a blinking red light (which means that it is atleast responding to the connection in some way?)
Also, none of the drive is responding when connected via Caddy.

When connected via enclosure, both drives show an option to 'Eject NS1068' which when clicked just hangs. Secondly, when I 'Rescan Disks' in Disk management after connecting the HDDs, it just hangs. I have tried changing the USB-to-micro-B cable as well but no change. I have also tried EaseUS Partition manager but no response there either.

"NS1068" is a USB 3.0 to SATA Bridge Controller:

http://www.norelsys.com/forum/produ...ulEclzW1Q4LOTa2OG3zo8wSzTr6WW8U6Er6SAqbx4XZmQ

This means that the OS is detecting the USB-SATA bridge IC rather than the drive behind the bridge. You will probably see the same behaviour if you connect the enclosure on its own.

Can you remove the PCB from each HDD and show us detailed photos? I would check for a damaged 5V TVS diode. If this is the case, then the fix is an easy one. I would need a photo, though.

Last edited:

fyodor0137

Honorable
Aug 29, 2014
UPDATE:

So I bought a new Orico Enclosure. I put HDD Momentus in it and connected it to the computer and the HDD got detected. So, I have re-formatted it and am now using it as secondary HDD in a CD-Drive Caddy. Hence, I could conclude that my older Orico enclosure has gone bad somehow. I also ran HD Tune and it showed that 0.2% of its sectors have been damaged, so won't keep important stuff on this drive.

But, the HDD Orico is not getting detected in the newer Orico enclosure as well. There is no response whatsoever. Hence I think that the HDD has gone bad. Should I open it up? Can it be repaired?