End of architecture generation build (AM3)

qyron

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I'm planning to build an end of generation system, using the mature (and nearly ending) AM3 architecture but keeping in mind future component migration (at least HDD/SSD, graphics card, PSU and case). My machines usually run for 6 to 8 years or until complete and total failure or rendered obsolete and unusable.

I'm opting to go for this architecture for a couple of reasons:

- I run Linux 98.5% of the time.
Mature hardware works better under my favourite OS.

- I'm not a power user.
I do run my machines in dual boot to enjoy the occasional gaming session under Windows but I tend to stick with older (classic!) games.

- I know I can make a well balanced machine without spending as much as if I was to build a machine built around the AM4 platform. DDR3 is a lot more affordable at this time than DDR4 and I can find powerful CPU's on the used market for a bargain.

I want to stay under the €75,00 price range when purchasing my next motherboard but I'm a bit lost regarding what model I should pick. Here is a line-up of the models I'm looking at.

ASROCK N68-GS4 FX
ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0
ASRock 970M Pro3
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

I have a couple more models available but I want to keep in mind my budget for the motherboard.

Only two of these boards carry on board graphics; I've been buying on-board graphics mostly but since I want to build something with a bit more muscle in it, now, if you could also spare some advice on what I should look at when considering graphics cards, it would be great.

Thanks in advance for your patience and your help.

Q

Dan_136

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
I want to strongly discourage you from using AM3. If you want a good bargain on CPU find a sandy brige or ivy bridge server CPU and an X79 motherboard. The CPUs compatible with the AM3 socket are absolutely terrible. An 8 core FX series CPU cant come close to an entry level 4 core intel cpu from the same time period. Building on the AM3 platform would be a terrible mistake. I would not recommend using an AM3 based computer if it was free. There is a reason Zen is such a big deal, and its because for 10 years Intel dominated the CPU market with no competition.

STAY AWAY FROM AM3!

qyron

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Risking sounding like a fanboy, I can only say that buying Intel is not an option for me, as Intel is, in general, a lot less friendly when it comes to run Linux. Drivers are deficient, if existent at all, not allowing for hardware to output its full potential. The most extreme case I can mention is CPU microcode set to lock out any non-Windows OS.

And by running Linux and not being the typical average Windows user I can afford to get "sub par" hardware. I currently run an AM3+ Athlon II X2 250 CPU based system and it is still perfectly functional for my day to day use but I am aware that this machine is ageing, being near it's 7th year of service, which means that at any moment it can and will croak.

Going for an AM3 platform is reasonable for me for the reasons I've explained in my opening post.