Question Endless loop of "Preparing automatic repair "

Mar 5, 2019
Hi. I'm not computer savvy, and need help..... Here's what happened.
1). I've been getting "stop code:memory management" green screen. So I did a system restore.
2). When it restarted itself, "Preparing automatic repair" came on.
3). Then this comes on, "Select Account. You need to sign in as administrator to continue, but there aren't any administrator account on this PC".....and on the bottom of the screen "Forgot your password or don't see your account?" <--- I pressed this.
4). Then this comes on, "Select account. Forgot your password or don't see your account? "...... and there's a "Restart" button on the bottom. I press the Restart button.
5). PC reboots, and repeats everything all over again.
Basically...I can't even start my PC.
Does anyone here know what to do?
Thanks in advance.

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
If 'Windows Startup Repair' doesn't work (it rarely does) I'm not really sure what else to bother trying.

I have attempted to get to the bottom of such issues before and spent a few days trying every possible fix I could find. This was purely driven by the need to find the cause but for the time and effort it took I eventually gave up, satiated with my new-found knowledge for troubleshooting tips & fixes.

The easiest and probably cleanest way to deal with this would be to obtain/borrow a 3.5" HDD enclosure and connect it to another PC, then do the following:
  • Run a scan on the folder and once finished COPY over everything to another HDD or the PC itself as a backup.
  • Re-install the HDD to your PC, then navigate to the troubleshooting screen (where you selected 'System Restore') and this time click 'Troubleshooting' > 'Reset This PC'.
  • If the account issue you had previously gives you grief again, or these options aren't showing for you, instead create a 'Windows 10 Media Disk' an another PC using a formatted USB and clean install Windows. Find that HERE, and instructions HERE
Not exactly a fix but may even be the best course of action for continued use in general. It's good to clean install Windows and fresh install all programs/games every couple of years. I personally keep things backed up externally rather than on the PC and only copy things back over if necessary. You'll be surprised how much unnecessary clutter you accumulate.

If anybody with experience in such cases cares to chime in with a more direct solution PLEASE DO SO. I will be watching :giggle:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019
If 'Windows Startup Repair' doesn't work (it rarely does) I'm not really sure what else to bother trying.

I have attempted to get to the bottom of such issues before and spent a few days trying every possible fix I could find. This was purely driven by the need to find the cause but for the time and effort it took I eventually gave up, satiated with my new-found knowledge for troubleshooting tips & fixes.

The easiest and probably cleanest way to deal with this would be to obtain/borrow a 3.5" HDD enclosure and connect it to another PC, then do the following:
  • Run a scan on the folder and once finished COPY over everything to another HDD or the PC itself as a backup.
  • Re-install the HDD to your PC and then in the troubleshooting screen (where you selected 'System Restore') and this time navigate to 'Troubleshooting' > 'Reset This PC'.
  • If the account issue you had previously gives you grief again, or these options aren't showing for you, create a 'Windows 10 Media Disk' an another PC using a formatted USB. Find that HERE, instructions HERE
Not exactly a fix but may even be the best course of action for continued use in general. It's good to clean install Windows and fresh install all programs/games every couple of years. I personally keep things backed up externally rather than on the PC and only copy things back over if necessary. You'll be surprised how much unnecessary clutter you accumulate.

If anybody with experience in such cases cares to chime in with a more direct solution PLEASE DO SO. I will be watching :giggle:
Hey, thanks Budge. I appreciate your answer. I'll try your suggestions.
I tried everything I could think of, and I'm still stumped. At this point, I'm even considering buying another PC.
Thanks, and have a good day. ☺

Budge414

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hey, thanks Budge. I appreciate your answer. I'll try your suggestions.
I tried everything I could think of, and I'm still stumped. At this point, I'm even considering buying another PC.
Thanks, and have a good day. ☺
No worries, that's why we're here! And yeah I usually turn to the bulldoze solution because similar issues had me stumped too.

I wouldn't think buying a new PC to be necessary for such a problem as this. Unless you want to, in which case you could follow these steps to at least get your current PC working and then sell or lend/give to someone in need!

Also don't hesitate to PM me or start a new thread if you'd like assistance with a new PC!