[SOLVED] Energy consumption of dedicated GPU vs onboard GPU.

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
Hi all.

I am building a home office style PC with old components. I am going to have an i5 4590 CPU which has the Intel HD 4600 GPU on board. I also have an old Geforce 9600 GT lying around. I think the 9600 GT has more horsepower, but the question is, is it worth installing?

I will not be playing games etc on it but as I will have to trow it out otherwise, I figure, why not... and that is where we come to the energy. As it is going to be on 8h/d, the energy difference in 1-2 years might be a pretty penny. But than again, the CPU should use less energy if the internal GPU is not in use... I think.

So do you guys know what the difference will be roughly? How much power does an onboard GPU use? How much does a mostly idle dedicated GPU use?

Cheers.

Solution
Hi all.

I am building a home office style PC with old components. I am going to have an i5 4590 CPU which has the Intel HD 4600 GPU on board. I also have an old Geforce 9600 GT lying around. I think the 9600 GT has more horsepower, but the question is, is it worth installing?

I will not be playing games etc on it but as I will have to trow it out otherwise, I figure, why not... and that is where we come to the energy. As it is going to be on 8h/d, the energy difference in 1-2 years might be a pretty penny. But than again, the CPU should use less energy if the internal GPU is not in use... I think.

So do you guys know what the difference will be roughly? How much power does an onboard GPU use? How much does a mostly idle dedicated...
Hi all.

So do you guys know what the difference will be roughly? How much power does an onboard GPU use? How much does a mostly idle dedicated GPU use?

Cheers.
The i5-4590, including the iGPU, has a TDP of 84 watts. The 9600GT video card has a TDP of 95 watts. Adding the 9600 will obviously increase running cost but the amount depends on how much it's being used. If it's idle most of the time you won't see much of an increase. The KWh price for electricity in your area also comes in to the picture since it varies from city to city. If you are just using the PC for office tasks and video the iGPU will be fine. You don't need the 9600GT. You can leave it in retirement mode. Here's a chart for the 4590, for what it's worth, with an 8 hour average daily use and an average KWh cost. Not sure how much help it will be. Scroll to the bottom.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4590-vs-Intel-i5-4690/2234vs2236

Reactions: EvilHamster
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all.

Cheers.
The desired resolution and physical interface to the monitor may determine if you need a video card. If you want HDMI but your motherboard doesn't have that interface, for example. I would probably recommend a newer low end card to provide newer interface types.

Reactions: EvilHamster