Enermax D.F. Pressure Fans Reverse To Blast Away Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

heinlein

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
Not trying to be a grammar nazi but I believe the word you wanted was "ceases"; although "It never seizes" would be a good thing for an engine.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I am not sure how this will combat dust at all really. So it blows the dust back OUT of the case into the environment that the fan will then use to suck air back INTO the case? Am I missing something here? Seems like a wasted exercise since 10 seconds is not going to clean a PC that runs all day, every day. I like that the fins come off for cleaning - that is pretty cool.

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Buy 75 micron screens from McMaster Carr and make some dust screens. Clean them periodically. No fancy tricks needed.

atreies

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
The dust collects slowly on the surface of radiators, heatsinks etc. Now I don't think this will stop it entirely it will pull some dust off of these surfaces therefore reduces the frequency of needing to blow out the PC, except the GPU :(

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Nice amount of CFM at those decibels. Naturally, I use the... Delta Electronics fan that pushed over 200 CFM. It also makes for a realistic sounding Airport Runway.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
It also makes for a realistic sounding Airport Runway.
*chuckle*
You just reminded me about a computer that I lent my niece a few years ago: She needed a computer and I had a spare P4 Xeon pizza box server. That thing was heavy and LOUD - pseudo jet engine loud! :)

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Dedicate yourself to periodic maintenance of cleaning out your PC, before the build up gets noticeable and you don't need this crap. Just don't be a lazy butt. In between the major cleanings just have periodical cleaning of your filters. Again, don't be a lazy butt.

So, couple of more questions and some observations Niels.

What is a twister bearing? Can you get a clarification from Enermax on this as it's not a typical designation and I'm assuming it's a variation on a rifle style sleeve bearing, but there is only a minimal statement regarding it being a twister bearing on the Enermax product page.

Two, when might we potentially see a review on these as the extremely high static pressure at 4+ mm/H[sub]2[/sub]0 with only a 27db max SPL is very good if those specs hold up to testing.

I'm rather dubious of the 160,000 MTBF since even the Noctua NF-F12 PWM, a staple in the high quality fan market and product of arguably the most respected PC enthusiast fan manufacturer, has only a 150,000 MTBF.

Also, skeptics like myself will raise eyebrows over the assertion that these fans can remain below 27db when the unit is running in the 1500-2000RPM range. Most fans, even very good ones, exceed 30db once they go beyond 1500RPM.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I don't really get those kinds of fans, even if the fans go in reverse, dust still clings to the case. Maybe not as much dust, but it's still there.

Now if those fans had built in dust filters right on them, that would be cool.

Bah, built-in dust filters on the fans? In most cases that would be a serious pain to remove the filter and clean it, as they'd be pinned against the case and/or boxed in by nearby sheetmetal. Best solution is filters built into the case itself. My Solo II has easy-to-remove filters on the intake.

It's not absolute, but it's pretty good. These fans could be used to basically render those filters "self-cleaning" to some degree. If you really want to keep dust out you need filters AND a positive-pressure setup. But that's probably overkill for minimal gains. Filters alone are good enough for most.

I'm more interested in the fans actual real world test result specifications and pricing than I am about any gimmicky features. There are few actual new features they can offer or engineer with fans these days, so companies that are scrambling to stay afloat in the face of much better products with comparable prices have to try and come up with SOMETHING to make their products stand out among the pack.

I'd be willing to bet those reversing features WILL wreak havoc on any system that has warning features set for below specified or zero fan RPMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.