Enermax' D.F. Vegas Fans Are Self-Cleaning, Lit Up Like Christmas Trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

It depends on which computer it is. My home theater PC is off whenever the theater is not in use. My livingroom/VR PC is on about 50% of the time. Laptops are on only when in use. My media server is always on.

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Not me, in fact I never turn it off unless i have to restart it. Which is about once a month at the most or when power goes out.

I use it as a file/media server. But, something I still haven't seen is a decent filter on a PC. I have to cut out and put in a filter made for a home. Not only does it filter much better (ACE hardware branded, the cheapest ones made of fiberglass) It holds many times more dust and seems to flow air better especially after dust buildup. You have to find a place where you won't compress the filter too much or not at all otherwise it wont pass air or get clogged easy. I Replace it maybe once a YEAR. After 3+ years there is only a very small film of dust that you can only see when up close on the inside.

I have a Lian-Li PC-7HWX that has two 140mm front fans spinning at around 1200 rpms, no exhaust fans. FX-8320@4.5GHz, R9 280x @1.1GHz/1650vram, Three HDD's (two in ReFS RAID 1 and one normal). Currently the filter looks dirty, CPU temp is around 40-45c during normal use and around 30-35 at idle with a EVO 212+ (single stock fan) after maybe 10 months of using the same filter without cleaning.

I do knock off the dust off the front every few months, currently it looks like it has 3+ months of dust on it :)

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I turn my PC off every night if I know I wont be using it until after work. Weekends it is on all day.

I know it's hard to do but it would be nice to see a review of fans once a year or more.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

I can't find many reviews for the Xoxide filters, but those I found were positive. One said you might need to add better magnets.

I've just been blowing out my PCs with an air-compressor when they get dirty, but I'll give these filters a try.

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
I turn my PC on in the AM and off at night. After say ,10 years that would be 3650 cycles. If you turn a PC on and off frequently , you could easily get to 10K, 15K, 20K cycles. A decent rule of thumb for consumer electronic reliability is to limit cycles to 10K over the life of the equipment, based on solder joint fatigue criteria.
As for dust, keeping a PC on the floor will make it collect more dust. My PCs are always on the desk.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
I switch off the PC if I know that I am not using it for the next 2 hours. I either put it to sleep or shut it off. With SSDs today, PC boot up time is negligible. I am OK waiting for 20 seconds for all the power it saves. :)

The self cleaning seems to be a bit of a gimmick. Even a high speed industrial fan with 4mm/h2o or more static pressure doesn't put out near the air pressure of a compressed air can. Even blowing on the front grill of a pc case with a couple quick puffs of breath would do more. The fan blades along with everything else will still get dusty requiring compressed air and/or a cloth.

Similar to taking a car to a diy car wash with 'pressure sprayers'. Throw some soap on there, spray it off all nice and clean then wipe your finger along the car while it's still wet and watch more muck come off. (I used quotes because there are industrial pressure washers capable of removing the dirt however they tend to remove the paint with it as well which defeats the purpose.)

Msi did this with their gpu fans, allowing them to spin backwards for 30sec when booting up. That was back in 2011. In 2013 lenovo had a similar feature on their p500 laptops. A few other spotty appearances on different products. Being that it hasn't caught on should be an indicator that it's rather ineffective or everyone would be doing it.

At least the blades are detachable, that's likely to be the best feature for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.