Question Enermax Liqmax II sudden and random fan speed spikes

Grijander

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Hi guys.

I have been experiencing this issue lately on my i5 8600k. I bought my rig 2 years ago, so it's not old at all. Everything works fine, but this issue is driving me nuts. I checked my temps while these fan spikes happen, and there was nothing wrong with the temps, they were totally normal (PC was idle). QFan is set as PWN in the BIOS, I'm not entirely sure if this could cause the issue. The thing is, most of the time the fan is quiet and working normal. But randomly (even when I'm just reading the news, not playing any game) the fan goes into crazy mode and runs 100% speed, sometimes for 5 seconds, sometimes for 20 seconds, sometimes even for more than 1 minute.

Any insights about this issue?

PD: aio radiator and fan are mounted on the back of the case, pushing the hot air outside the case. I have one 120mm fan mounted on the front of the case, pulling fresh air into the case.

Last edited:

Grijander

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Well, apparently it was something related to the small switch on the side of the fan. It was set at the highest position, so the fan could run at max speed if the system requires it (only under heavy cpu stress). But for some reason, the fan goes crazy when I gently push the switch instead of sliding it, so basically the switch causes some issues when is set at the highest position. I solved it by sliding the switch to the middle position. Not a big deal, since anyways the fans never went to full speed under gaming, so leaving the switch at the mid position won't make a difference.

Definitely my next cooler won't be an Enermax Liqmax.