Enermax PSU's and Cases

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I can see why you don't want to take any chances. CL2 RAM at fast DDR timing needs stable power or else you will crash a lot.

If I were you before I commit so much money I would go to the overclockers.com forums and see what kind of PSU's overclockers use. Those guy OC every system and component (including RAM and video card) they can get their hands on and should know what's "enough." If a bunch of guys have stable systems and are running 430W, then I'd wager a guess that 430W won't blow up your system or cause the crashes or instability you may be facing with your current PSU.

From what I've read, it really seems that min and max system specs aren't as important as the components used in the PSU itself. In general if you have good components things should run fine even if you can't reach that high amperage. This is why I think something on the order of a 550W PSU may really only be for low-level servers short of getting a full redundant power supply.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

G

here is the config from the overclockers.com forum for the first overclocker's post i have opened:
Northwood 2.0a @ 2.7 gig, Abit TH7-II RAID, Swiftech MCX478, AS-III, Antec SX635 case & 550 watt PS, Samsung RDRAM, two 40 gig & one 80 gig HDDs, SoundBlaster X-Gamer 5.1, OCZ Titan3 GF3, lots of cooling mods, etc...
i think my choice is the right one...

<i> :smile: I like THG Interactive, Inc.</i>