Enermax Pumps (And all liquid PC pumps) Killer

Jiggle21

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014
So to begin, I have been building custom loops for a while. And I have always used just plain ole distilled water (Maybe a few drops of food coloring for what im going for, but thats the extent)

However, as of late, I began a test of various liquids. Any Opaque liquid is #1 on the "do not use" list. The particles in it not only build up in the loop, but as ive seen (espicially with Enermax pumps) cause the buildup so much that within a week it will clog the pump and thus, over heat you PC.

Lucky for you all that hopefully read this before using anything but distilled water and maybe some food coloring, ive tested many pumps! From Thermaltake, Enermax, Deepcool, Phanteks, and more! All pumps failed within 2 days to a month. 6 HR run times on each loop per day, 2 Hrs on heavy load, 4 HR on idle.

Some Plastics held the particles more than others (Enermax and Deepcool) in the pump area, and quit rather quickly. Thermaltake actually lasted the longest at 34 days before the pump seized up. (Speaking specifically of the Pacific series pump)

After all of the pumps failed, I took them all apart, scraped the residue off and ran the loops with nothing but distilled water. It has been 28 days, and all of the pumps run just fine.

This post is more of a friendly PSA than anything, to see video and photos, please check my site www.bowser-custompc.us. More details are listed there, as well as documentation.

This is meant to help anyone Google searching "Pump stopped working" or "Pump died" etc because it has in my experiment been the fluid that you use.

Solution
There are commercial coolants for custom water loops (including colored ones). But I would guess that most use distilled water (and perhaps some biocide to prevent algae growth). It is by far the cheapest route.