Enermax Shows 80 Plus Platinum 'Platimax' PSUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Knowing Enermax's track record quite well, this will probably be yet another absolutely kick ass PSU, albeit very expensive. Technology progresses so quickly. Back when I purchased the Modu87+ I'm currently using, it was pretty much the most efficient PSU on the market, and certainly one of the best designed. And now only about a year later we have 80+ Platinum PSU's coming to market.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Knowing Enermax's track record quite well, this will probably be yet another absolutely kick ass PSU, albeit very expensive. [/citation]

I have a 460w Enermax PSU I bought in 2004 that is still running great. It's outlived all the other components from two different builds. I don't think Enermax prices are that much more than other high-quality brands, but I have seen enough problems caused by bad PSUs that I wouldn't buy anything less.

G

Aren't most household circuits only 15amps? 55-70amps are definitely going to trip a few circuits...

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Plus Enermax sometimes under-rates their power supplies (compared to a lot of vendors. If you look at the amp ratings of some of their better 600-650 watt designs they read like a common 900-1000 watt unit.

My first separate PSU I ever bought, for a build back in '01, was a dual Fan 430 Watt Enermax that I powered a Dual XP2000 system with. It was kicking just fine up to the day I stopped using it and sold it in '08. Far as I know it still works. Currently using a 600W Pro87+. Cost of an Enermax is always justified when it's tasked to power components that are each still more expensive than the PSU itself.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
[citation][nom]IceS[/nom]Aren't most household circuits only 15amps? 55-70amps are definitely going to trip a few circuits...[/citation]

Yes they are.

15 Amps of 110Volts AC Supplies up to 1650 Watts (Wall Current).
55 Amps of 12 Volts DC is just 660 Watts (PSU Current).

A system powered by a 1200 Watt PSU won't regularly demand near its rated max most of the time. The Computer and a few LCD monitors should be safe on a single 15 Amp breaker, even while gaming. I admit even I cross my fingers when I send something to my Laser Printer, though. It makes the lights flicker a tad. Hope that clears that up.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Knowing Enermax's track record quite well, this will probably be yet another absolutely kick ass PSU, albeit very expensive. Technology progresses so quickly. Back when I purchased the Modu87+ I'm currently using, it was pretty much the most efficient PSU on the market, and certainly one of the best designed. And now only about a year later we have 80+ Platinum PSU's coming to market.[/citation]
i've been using my hx750 for two years, and it reaches 90% efficiency at 50% loads according to the official website

[citation][nom]IceS[/nom]Aren't most household circuits only 15amps? 55-70amps are definitely going to trip a few circuits...[/citation]
That's why power supplies have those large transformers inside-to step down the voltage and step up the current.

Other than the ridiculous name, the PSU's look good, except it looks as though they may use the same ugly fans that grace the Gold Enermax PSUs. Every review I've read has the testers complaining about the awful, cheesy looking fans..

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Not at 12V DC, which is all internal to the computer, the two are seperate. 1200W/120V = 10Amps + whatever the loss is (remember, not 100% efficient)

Status
Not open for further replies.