Question Enermax starrfort sf30 case fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

zchreste

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
So I have an enermax starryfort sf30 case with 4 case fans and their squa aio cooler. All of the rgb fans are connected to the hub and everything works with the default rgb color schemes through the fan controller using the case reset button. However they state that I can use msi mustic light to control it but it does not work for me. My motherboard is a msi x470 with 4 pin rgb headers and the enermax fans have 3 pin. Is there anyway to use either Amy mobo software or literally anything else to change color schemes? I really want to do a light blue/ purple scheme and that's not one of their options. Thanks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sadly, the technologies are different between the two and you can't combine them.

On the regular +12V RGB header (4-pin), all LEDs of a primary color (R, G, B) are chained together and act simultaneously depending on the input signal. This makes individual LED addressing impossible.

Pinout:
pin #1 - +12V
pin #2 - G (green color)
pin #3 - R (red color)
pin #4 - B (blue color)

On the +5V RGB header (3-pin), there is LED driver control for each RGB LED package that translates the serial information coming in through the data pin into a specific output for that LED package it is attached to. That method makes single LED addressing possible.

Pinout:
pin #1 - +5V
pin #2 - data
pin #3 - empty (no pin)
pin #4 - ground

Plugging the 3-pin RGB connector to the 4-pin RGB header fries the LEDs since you'd be feeding more than twice the voltage to them (12V vs 5V). And even if the addressable LEDs somehow survive the initial power up, there's no data pin in the 4-pin RGB header to control the LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.