Engenius vs Ubiquiti access points

I'm planning to install a wired network in my house and would like to move all my major networking hardware into a utility closet. That's not the best place for a wireless router. I plan on switching to an AP. I've looked at Ubiquiti and enGenius options. I'm not sure which brand to get. Ubiquiti seems like it has some additional overhead in order to function normally, you need to run their cloudkey or their controller software on a system that's always on. Whereas the enGenius seems more plug and play. But I'm not an expert on either system nor do I have much experience with "Pro-Am" networking hardware like this.

Another reason to switch to an AP is that they look neater on the ceiling. I just happen to have a hole in my ceiling that the previous owners covered up with a non-functional CO detector. The home inspector found that and removed it (CO detectors work better near floor level since CO sinks) and now I just have a hole in my textured ceiling. Textured ceilings are awful to patch cleanly. So, I figured I'd cover it with something that is actually useful.

I don't have any concerns with POE. I planned on getting an injector or POE switch. I'm pretty sure the single AP can cover my house from that location. If not I can setup another one pretty easily in my bedroom for better coverage.

What are your thoughts? Do you have any experience with either type of AP or do you have something else you would recommend? Is there some sort of pitfall I should be on the lookout for as I shop for APs? Is the hardware/cost overhead worth it for the Ubiquiti? Is there something I'm not seeing that would give enGenius an advantage or disadvantage.

RealBeast

Titan
With just one AP I would also consider TP-Link. The TP-Link EAP225 works well, can be configured via browser over your network once attached, comes with a passive PoE injector if you need it, and runs like $68 on Amazon.

Take a look at a review of multiple APs in one article HERE.

One small point to consider is powering the AP, does it have local power in the ceiling or do you need to use PoE (power over Ethernet) that I mentioned above?

And one OT point -- I've repaired many AP holes on textured ceilings and it's not too difficult if you get the correct size drywall hole patch device (like screening with clamps attached to the top) and then apply Spackle and then use a can of spray on white texture all available from Home Depot/Lowe's.

SurpriseSlayer1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
I have heard a lot of good and bad about EnGenius and Ubiquiti. Both seem like great products. One thing to consider is with Ubiquiti, they offer the whole line, meaning you can get a router, switch, and AP, and have them all work together with great success. That is my only problem with EnGenius. They dont have their own routers. EnGenius, in my opinion, has better hardware. They have better speed and coverage than any of the UBNT products Ive seen. But for a home install, getting the whole line from UBNT would be how I would do it.

Only certain features need the controller 24/7. You can configure everything a normal AP needs and then not use the controller. unifi really shines when you need more than one with vlans. you can configure one and just plug in 5 more and hit provision and they are done network wise.

I don't recommend the cloud key. I think that's more for managing other peoples networks easier. I see a lot of people having issues with it.

unifi doesn't really have customer support. on the price, features, support pick 2 spectrum. they do have good docs.