kanewolf

Titan
The difference between 2l and 3l? Is there any way to hybrid them?
The only practical way to "hybrid" a 1992 hiLux pickup is to replace the entire drivetrain with a factory designed hybrid drivetrain. And that is not REALLY practical.
There are custom shops that specialize in vehicle conversions. Buying a newer hybrid will probably be cheaper.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
The only practical way to "hybrid" a 1992 hiLux pickup is to replace the entire drivetrain with a factory designed hybrid drivetrain. And that is not REALLY practical.
There are custom shops that specialize in vehicle conversions. Buying a newer hybrid will probably be cheaper.

I think what OP was trying to say is if there’s any way to create a hybrid of a 2l and 3l engine. Sort of like a variable displacement engine… or like nvidia hybrid graphics, where theres an energy saving and performance mode.

in that case… no.

Reactions: AmeGo1
Aug 5, 2021
I think what OP was trying to say is if there’s any way to create a hybrid of a 2l and 3l engine. Sort of like a variable displacement engine… or like nvidia hybrid graphics, where theres an energy saving and performance mode.

in that case… no.
you rephrased it or said well, thanks!, So, I have to sell this 2l then buy other 3l.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Why the desire for a change?

An engine swap is not trivial. And going to a whole different engine is far worse.

im guessing op is from southeast asia, like me. Those old japanese diesel engines are dirt cheap in the region, much cheaper than rebuilding a worn out engine.

but wait… could OP in fact be talking about the engine model? Toyota has a “2L” and “3L” diesel engine model code…

USAFRet

Titan
im guessing op is from southeast asia, like me. Those old japanese diesel engines are dirt cheap in the region, much cheaper than rebuilding a worn out engine.

but wait… could OP in fact be talking about the engine model? Toyota has a “2L” and “3L” diesel engine model code…
I wasn't even talking about the cost.
Just the hassle of the engine swap, and especially with a whole different engine.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I wasn't even talking about the cost.
Just the hassle of the engine swap, and especially with a whole different engine.

actually, in a lot of places the sellers themselves would install the engine for only ~$200-300 . Usually, the owner of the vehicle wouldn’t have much to worry about… unless the seller botches the install/conversion…