Engineer builds Self-Balanced, Motorized Unicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I can see these things all over Wal-Mart with overweight people riding them around taking up 8 foot isles. Only in America

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Those kind of people would need 4 of them at once. Maybe with a rigid surface to distribute the weight. And if only there was a way to control all 4 of them at the same time...
One can dream...

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
While I appreciate how awesome these are, in reality this joins the ranks of the dozens of other self-balancing scooters/bikes which people have made on a shoestring budget. Has nobody at Toms come across these before??

Not complaining. The more the merrier, I say. I'd welcome more gadget-related posts like this as well, come to think of it.

Note the real-life functioning Tron motorcycle in the "related videos" section at the end ;) link just in case you can't see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pAFptrSuw7E

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I must be among the few people left in the world who LIKES to walk/jog >_< cool design but at 10 mph that is certainly faster than my walking pace (3.8 mph) and not a ton faster then my jogging pace of 6.5 mph (which can be sustained for longer than this machine's battery will last by most reasonably healthy people)

cool gadget and i can see merit in the idea if it had a logner range (yes i know the article mentions that being the next step) but you still have to park it or find a way yo keep it with you vs walking/jogging where you get there stress free and with health benefits

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]I must be among the few people left in the world who LIKES to walk/jog >_< cool design but at 10 mph that is certainly faster than my walking pace (3.8 mph) and not a ton faster then my jogging pace of 6.5 mph (which can be sustained for longer than this machine's battery will last by most reasonably healthy people) cool gadget and i can see merit in the idea if it had a logner range (yes i know the article mentions that being the next step) but you still have to park it or find a way yo keep it with you vs walking/jogging where you get there stress free and with health benefits[/citation]

But unfortunately, in 20 years your cartilage can't be replaced. This machine however, can.

I love to walk/jog as well, but I still commute using bike/vehicle due to time constraints and weather.

Anyways, these unicycles have always been a bad idea, why? Some kid runs in front of you, you slam on the brakes, you go face first into the kid or pavement.

bmyton

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

I would love to meet the "reasonably healthy" person that can maintain an 8min/mile pace for a full half marathon in slacks and a button down shirt and still be presentable enough to walk into work when they're finished. I think a 30min 5k would be a more reasonable definition of healthy, and even that would be with some fatigue at the end.

As far as I can guess, this thing would be designed to replace bicycles and small scooters for people that commute 1-10 miles to work. I don't personally see the advantage over a standard bicycle, but that's just me.

-Ben

G

Cool, with a stronger motor and battery, maybe even a small gas engine I can see someone useing it on a trail in the woods. add a remote controll and maybe a "brain" so it could follow someone the military could use it to carry water, food, or ammo. add a remote controll, tv and "hands" it could be used for mine clearing. With the right tire it could clime stairs. Don't know how well it could handle mud.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]Now make it self aware and carrying a gun. Hurry, only a few days left till the 21st.[/citation]

Don't want to burst your bubble but 21st century started 01/01/01

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]Don't want to burst your bubble but 21st century started 01/01/01[/citation]
No no...December 21st...the end of the world. Where've you been?

G

For a nice comparison of the features of different unicycle models have a look at http://focusdesigns.com/compare/ the Solowheel or SBU V2 is already available!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
That is not an independent third party's website. Moreover, the SBU which it is promoting says this:

WARNING.
Do not attempt to travel down long steep inclines on a 100% fully charged battery. Failure to comply may result in damage to the battery or to the circuit board due to the regenerative braking.

It's little things like this that will begin to really set these apart and justify the higher price of some of the competitors offerings, but these things are not listed on the comparison page which you linked to.

Status
Not open for further replies.