News Engineer hacks his Sleep Number bed, reveals potential backdoor and security vulnerability

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
You see, I had set the plugin to request data from the SleepIQ API every 5 seconds to get an accurate reading on the bed presence value. Multiply that by the couple thousand users of the plugin at that point and the result was enough strain on their network that they had taken notice and started looking for the cause. They also weren't too fond of the branding of the repository, since to the untrained eye it looked like an official Sleep Number tool, which it definitely was not. Oh well, lessons learned, I shut it down.
I wonder what lesson he learned?

Hopefully it's "don't be a giant douche when you write software for public use that relies on 3rd party infrastructure".

On a side note, this article talks about a backdoor and the original article also talks as if there is a backdoor in software but I am just not seeing it. Having a working UART header on the PCB to which you have to soldier pins to be able to gain root access doesn't count as a backdoor in my book.

mhmarefat

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Thank you Tom's Hardware for this article. Also thank you for your other articles informing people about Microsoft's AI bull and other Corporate BS claims such as ChatGPT and the likes of it being able to replace journalism, etc... but these are not enough. Only informing people is no longer enough. People need to know how they can stand up for themselves and fight back. Tom's Hardware needs to inform people how they can fight back on the legal side against these "Tech Scoundrels" who think they can get away with implementing such backdoors and disrespecting human rights just because they have trillions/billions of dollars?!

The last thing today's world corporations think about is respecting Human dignity. TH, please do not wait for anyone. Lead they way in informing people on lawful ways they have that can bring these corporate douches back to their place.

You can start by asking big techs such as Intel and AMD what are they doing with techs such as Intel Mangement Engine and AMD Secure Technology? By whose persmision they have implemented backdoors on people's hardware? People need to stand up against these low-life techniques and hit back and hit back HARD to preserve their rights and dignity.

Tom's Hardware can start informing people of lawful ways they have to defend themselves against predatory corporate behaviour and rid themselves of these invasive technologies. Simply reporting that some corporatation is stealing/selling people's data or is implementing backdoors to their hardware and moving on is not enough anymore.
Sorry for my long post!

Thank you Tom's Hardware for this article. Also thank you for your other articles informing people about Microsoft's AI bull and other Corporate BS claims such as ChatGPT and the likes of it being able to replace journalism, etc... but these are not enough. Only informing people is no longer enough. People need to know how they can stand up for themselves and fight back. Tom's Hardware needs to inform people how they can fight back on the legal side against these "Tech Scoundrels" who think they can get away with implementing such backdoors and disrespecting human rights just because they have trillions/billions of dollars?!

The last thing today's world corporations think about is respecting Human dignity. TH, please do not wait for anyone. Lead they way in informing people on lawful ways they have that can bring these corporate douches back to their place.

You can start by asking big techs such as Intel and AMD what are they doing with techs such as Intel Mangement Engine and AMD Secure Technology? By whose persmision they have implemented backdoors on people's hardware? People need to stand up against these low-life techniques and hit back and hit back HARD to preserve their rights and dignity.

Tom's Hardware can start informing people of lawful ways they have to defend themselves against predatory corporate behaviour and rid themselves of these invasive technologies. Simply reporting that some corporatation is stealing/selling people's data or is implementing backdoors to their hardware and moving on is not enough anymore.
Sorry for my long post!
Don't buy products you don't like.
Eventually that company will go out of business due to loss of revenue.
Switch to ARM, get a normal bed... whatever makes you feel safe

TRENDING THREADS