[SOLVED] Enough not to bottleneck or a Ryzen 3100?

May 9, 2020
Im currently using an i3-2100 with a gtx 1050ti. I'm looking to upgrade my cpu since it bottleneck my 1050.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to improve my pc which is enough to not bottleneck my gpu.

Since I saw the release of the R3 3100, ive been wondering if I should go with an R3 3100, which mean buying a new mobo, ddr4 ram, and cpu, or buying a used cpu such as a gen 4 i7 with its mobo for $250~300 and keeping my current ddr3 ram, which is enough to not bottleneck my 1050.

I'm only using my PC to simply play games such as R6 and XCOM and nothing else.

Im pretty flexible with my budget, but i would like if it is as cheap as possible.

Solution
I totally advise against buying a mobo and a fourth generation processor because their price is exaggerated for what they offer. To keep your ram ddr3 you would be buying second hand products at a high price

If you want to maintain the maximum of elements of your equipment, you should check the cpu that your motherboard supports. It is likely to support I5-3570, I5-3570K, I7-3770, or I7-3770K (but you need to confirm this). Any one of these is more than enough to support a GTX 1050 TI. In any case do not invest more than about $ 60.
I totally advise against buying a mobo and a fourth generation processor because their price is exaggerated for what they offer. To keep your ram ddr3 you would be buying second hand products at a high price

If you want to maintain the maximum of elements of your equipment, you should check the cpu that your motherboard supports. It is likely to support I5-3570, I5-3570K, I7-3770, or I7-3770K (but you need to confirm this). Any one of these is more than enough to support a GTX 1050 TI. In any case do not invest more than about $ 60.

Solution
I kind of agree, though I would skip those quad-core i5s, and look for at least an i7 compatible with your existing motherboard, if you decide to go the used hardware route. The "2nd-gen" i7s could be a viable option as well. The i7-2600K or 2700K should perform similar to an i7-3770 at stock clocks, and more like an i7-3770K or 4770 when overclocked. You'll probably struggle to find them for $60, but even for closer to $90, they might be a reasonable buy (assuming we are talking US prices).

The 4770K can be a little faster (maybe around 10%), and the 4790K a little faster still, but not enough so to be worth spending $250-$300 on to replace both the CPU and motherboard. These are 6 to 7 year old processors, after all. For $300, it should be possible to get a brand-new Ryzen 3300X, motherboard and 16GB (2x8GB) kit of DDR4-3200 RAM. Not only would the 3300X be faster still, but the newer motherboard leaves room for the possibility of an upgrade to a processor with even more cores in the future, should the need arise. So, spending nearly as much for older, somewhat slower hardware doesn't make much sense. If you plan to replace the motherboard, new hardware would be the way to go.

Probably worth asking, how much DDR3 RAM do you currently have?

Reactions: Natürlich
May 9, 2020

Will do! Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

May 9, 2020
I kind of agree, though I would skip those quad-core i5s, and look for at least an i7 compatible with your existing motherboard, if you decide to go the used hardware route. The "2nd-gen" i7s could be a viable option as well. The i7-2600K or 2700K should perform similar to an i7-3770 at stock clocks, and more like an i7-3770K or 4770 when overclocked. You'll probably struggle to find them for $60, but even for closer to $90, they might be a reasonable buy (assuming we are talking US prices).

The 4770K can be a little faster (maybe around 10%), and the 4790K a little faster still, but not enough so to be worth spending $250-$300 on to replace both the CPU and motherboard. These are 6 to 7 year old processors, after all. For $300, it should be possible to get a brand-new Ryzen 3300X, motherboard and 16GB (2x8GB) kit of DDR4-3200 RAM. Not only would the 3300X be faster still, but the newer motherboard leaves room for the possibility of an upgrade to a processor with even more cores in the future, should the need arise. So, spending nearly as much for older, somewhat slower hardware doesn't make much sense. If you plan to replace the motherboard, new hardware would be the way to go.

Probably worth asking, how much DDR3 RAM do you currently have?
6GB lmao
Sure do, ill do a bit more research comparing an i7 2700 with i5 3570!
Thanks a lot!

Last edited: