Enough power and right RAM for ASUS GTX650TIB-DC2OC-2GBD5?

chadj

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Greetings,

I've been planning on buying a new graphics card, preferably the ASUS GTX650TIB-DC2OC 2GB GDDR5, or the less expensive MSI GTX650 Ti BOOST OC 1GD5 N650TI-1GD5/OC BE

my specs

MBO: Asrock Z87 PRO3
CPU: Intel core i5 4570 @ 3.2 GHz Haswell
RAM: 2x2 GB DDR3 1333MHz
HDD: Seagate 750 GB SATA 2
PSU: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze

So I was wondering whether my PSU (500W) will suffice, and whether the 1333 MHz DDR3 would be an issue (can't get my hands on DDR3 1600 MHz yet, same goes for a SATA3 HDD...)?

What about the card (ASUS/MSI) itself, is it good, is there a better one in the same price range? Prone to cause trouble, like coil whine or compatibility issues?

Thanks for your reply, you guys are life savers, the forum's great and helped a lot over the years!

Solution
Your psu is enough and the RAM will be fine. RAM doesn't add a huge improvement to performance, you might notice quicker changes from program to program and when alt+tab'in, but it's not as important as other components. Especially if you got a 3gb sata hdd then your load times will be longer. I'd recommend getting a small SDD for your OS and games if you have like $90 or so to spend.
Your psu is enough and the RAM will be fine. RAM doesn't add a huge improvement to performance, you might notice quicker changes from program to program and when alt+tab'in, but it's not as important as other components. Especially if you got a 3gb sata hdd then your load times will be longer. I'd recommend getting a small SDD for your OS and games if you have like $90 or so to spend.

Solution

chadj

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Thank's for the quick reply, that's a load off my chest :) I thought that maybe the RAM could be an issue with the Haswell in games, which prefers the 1600 MHz over the 1333 MHz DDR3, and that my PSU would barely suffice. I recently upgraded from i5 750 & ASUS P7P55D mbo to current specs, so I'm a little short on money at the moment, unfortunately my gigabyte gtx 550 ti is experiencing some technical difficulties (smthng like coil whine, but more like an electric buzz in GPU intensive apps and games, and the card overheats quickly, jumps to temps over 80°C in Skyrim for example, where before it went to ~52°C in most games), I must have moved the heat sink or smthng, got the paste cured up probably, but I was planning on getting a new card anyways, so I'll just try and fix that later. A decent 120GB SSD costs about $120 round here, so I might invest in that, though I'm already short on space and a HDD 1TB say WD or Seagate would do me justice in its own right, too.

What's your take on the ASUS card? What about the MSI?

ASUS: https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX650TIBDC2OC2GD5/

MSI: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N650Ti-1GD5-OC-BE.html#?div=Specification

chadj

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Thanks, I think I'll spend the extra $20 and just go for the Gigabyte GTX 660 OC Windforce II in the end, seems like a decent card, good cooling and pushes to 1150 MHz :) The stores here generally don't have any EVGA cards unfortunately :/

TRENDING THREADS