[SOLVED] Enough PSU Power?

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
My buddy is giving me a brand new 3070 TI founder edition.wondering if my current 600W PSU is safe to use with this card.Ive run another system with same power headroom as this system will have and everything was fine but im not sure how much watts these new cards actually pull.Just wanna be sure its not gonna go over 290W too much.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6kM8nL

thats my current build with a 3070ti attached.different card but same TDP.

Reactions: Fuptheworld
Solution
That psu will not cut it.
Nvidia's RTX 30 series are notorious for drawing power well over what they're rated for in sudden spikes.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/234665/evga-rtx3070ti-8192-210520
That FTW3 Ultra has a board power limit of 325w. It will see spikes over 400w that may not be picked up by software. Expect the model you're actually getting to do the same.

Quality comes first with psus. Wattage is secondary. Thermaltake Smart series was not known to excel in the former.

Pick something from Tier A.
Corsair RMX
Superflower Leadex III Gold
be quiet! Straight Power 11
Those are just a few examples of acceptable units...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That psu will not cut it.
Nvidia's RTX 30 series are notorious for drawing power well over what they're rated for in sudden spikes.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/234665/evga-rtx3070ti-8192-210520
That FTW3 Ultra has a board power limit of 325w. It will see spikes over 400w that may not be picked up by software. Expect the model you're actually getting to do the same.

Quality comes first with psus. Wattage is secondary. Thermaltake Smart series was not known to excel in the former.

Pick something from Tier A.
Corsair RMX
Superflower Leadex III Gold
be quiet! Straight Power 11
Those are just a few examples of acceptable units from that list.

Solution

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Up Date to this post and my situation.
I installed the 3070 ti with my 600W PSU. I have a 1080p monitor AND a native 4K monitor.
I capped framerate via Nvidia control panel,Riva tuner and ingame settings.also enabled vsync.
4K low settings was pulling a max of 280W and the card is a 290W TDP.
4K low settings draws 214 MORE watts than 1080p High settings.
1080p high sits around 60-70watts capped at 60frames.multiple games tested(New World,PUBG,Tarkov)
Only issue i could tell anyone is if u uncap your frames with this PSU like this could def be dangerous,i am using Founders Edition of 3070ti by the way,ever card will differ.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I installed the 3070 ti with my 600W PSU. I have a 1080p monitor AND a native 4K monitor.
I capped framerate via Nvidia control panel,Riva tuner and ingame settings.also enabled vsync.
1080p high sits around 60-70watts capped at 60frames.multiple games tested(New World,PUBG,Tarkov)
Only issue i could tell anyone is if u uncap your frames with this PSU like this could def be dangerous,i am using Founders Edition of 3070ti by the way,ever card will differ.
Your going to use a junk 504 watt power supply with that good luck. Yes 504 watts 42A on the 12 volt rail and will probably pop before then.

Expensive card to trust with junk.

It's not the wattage. Bad voltage regulation and bad protections are the more important shortcomings of your crappy PSU. Maybe it dies about an our, a week or a year and takes the whole system with it.

And marking your own answer as the best solution is weird.

Reactions: King_V

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
i appreciate all the feedback but im on a tight budget,i know its a junk PSU but its all i got for now,All i was trying to state is that this 3070ti is pulling hella low watts with vsync on and capped frames because such a good card needs very little juice to get the frames i want. will most likely get a new PSU soon though.I marked my post as best answer because it has information for someone who may be trying same thing and just wanted to know wattage.this was never about my <removed> PSU but about wattage.

Last edited by a moderator:
i appreciate all the feedback but im on a tight budget,i know its a junk PSU but its all i got for now,All i was trying to state is that this 3070ti is pulling hella low watts with vsync on and capped frames because such a good card needs very little juice to get the frames i want. will most likely get a new PSU soon though.I marked my post as best answer because it has information for someone who may be trying same thing and just wanted to know wattage.this was never about my PSU but about wattage.
What exactly provides the wattage in your system? That's right, the PSU. It has always been about your PSU. If you are on a tight budget, then you didn't afford the GPU in the first place as it was ALWAYS the need to replace PSU at the same time.

Your expensive GPU will not care if you are on a tight budget, it will not care if you keep using that PSU, it will eventually go out faster because of YOUR choices.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

DSzymborski

Titan
i appreciate all the feedback but im on a tight budget,i know its a junk PSU but its all i got for now,All i was trying to state is that this 3070ti is pulling hella low watts with vsync on and capped frames because such a good card needs very little juice to get the frames i want. will most likely get a new PSU soon though.I marked my post as best answer because it has information for someone who may be trying same thing and just wanted to know wattage.this was never about my <Mod Edit> PSU but about wattage.

Well, what happens if you fry the GPU? Or shorten its lifespan?

Buying the sports car also means getting the insurance and maintenance.

We're trying to keep you from having to spend another $1000. If you couldn't get a 3070 Ti and a safe power supply, you could have certainly gotten a 3060 and a safe power supply. But, that would have been more responsible and less fun, I guess.

If you want to get angry and lash out at people giving you advice, get angry at the person in the mirror who is being irresponsible with your money. Money being tight is more reason to be careful, not less.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
D

Deleted member 362816

Look at all of you jump on the Poor old OP, He was "given" the card, Maybe he doesn't have the money right now. With his capped settings I doubt the PSU is just going to explode lol.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Look at all of you jump on the Poor old OP, He was "given" the card, Maybe he doesn't have the money right now. With his capped settings I doubt the PSU is just going to explode lol.

This isn't a light power card and a merely borderline GPU. The transient spikes of the higher-end 30 series cards have been a nightmare for some even adequate PSUs like EVGA's FSP-made line. This is an awful, repackaged group-regulated PSU that originally came out, if I'm not mistaken, sometime around 2005. What exactly do you think happens with a group-regulated PSU when the +12V rail suddenly wants 200 more watts than it did a minute ago?

This is not an emergency. This isn't a lifeboat or an insulin injection. This is an entertainment device for playing video games. There's no rush to use this until it's safe to do so.

Reactions: dotas1