Enough thermal paste?

SedativeLeek

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
so i bought an FX 8320 and put the stock heatsink on(it had some thermal paste on it) but since then ive taken it off a few times and put in a different cpu(so i could update the motherboard). What i want to know is will my cpu fry if it doesnt have alot of thermal paste? kinda a dumb question, but it idled at 111 F(dont remember celsius) is that alot or not? thanks a bunch.

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

Every time you remove the heatsink from the CPU you should reapply the thermal paste. You can clean the remaining thermal paste in the CPU and the heatsink with Isopropyl alcohol in some paper towels, then you apply a little dot it in the center of the CPU and put the heatsink (It'll spread the thermal paste) and you're done.
It idles at 44 ° C, is not too much, but for Idle readings is not cool enough.

And clean the heatsink with some compressed air or some brush, to remove the dust (This may cause some overheating problem)

SedativeLeek

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

So will i be fine for now if i use my PC for gaming? i plan on getting some thermal paste soon, but atm i dont have and want to know if i have to worry about overheating and potentially frying my CPU.

jrayx

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012

It's not ideal to reuse the thermal paste after you remove the heatsink, but it's better than nothing. It could overheat but the computer will shut down to protect the CPU.