[SOLVED] Ensuring Storage Health for PS3

insinuendo

Reputable
May 15, 2016
With the imminent launch of the PS5 I have a concern about the servers for the PS3 going down soon. Which would be the best 2.5 inch hard drive to install in the console to prevent long term data loss?

Once Sony announces that you will soon not be able to download games for the console, I will want to load it up with as many titles as possible and have them available for many years to come. I have heard that mechanical drives are prone to failure but SSD drives need to be periodically turned on to prevent damage, which, of course, may not happen on a legacy system as it could lay dormant for a few years.

Solution
HDDs are not 'prone' to failure if stored correctly. Physical damage, shocking the drive is a concern.

For potential long-term storage/archival, external HDDs should suffice? And in a perfect world, have at least two of them storing the same data for redundancy (and even better, store one off-site).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
HDDs are not 'prone' to failure if stored correctly. Physical damage, shocking the drive is a concern.

For potential long-term storage/archival, external HDDs should suffice? And in a perfect world, have at least two of them storing the same data for redundancy (and even better, store one off-site).

Solution