Enter SETUP to recover BIOS settings issue ASUS z97A

lolmachine

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Hey guys I have suddenly stumbled onto an annoying but thankfully not serious issue. I've been very busy lately so my gaming PC went untouched for 2 months or so. When I fired it up to take it for a spin last week, I run into the "Enter SETUP to recover BIOS settings" issue.

Now I've read up on the existing threads here and on other forums. What's weird is the date and time are kept current so I don't think it's the CMOS battery. I tried pressing the CMOS reset button, but still get the issue. I also tried removing the battery and setting it back. Also tried updating my BIOS to the most current one out there but have had no luck. The sole thing I setup on BIOS is my XMP settings, which I never really had a problem with until last week. It doesn't seem to remember it now. Interesting enough is if I restart the PC after setting up my XMP profile, it seems to remember the settings on the next boot. This only happens when I shut down the PC and leave it turned off for a couple hours. When I turn it on, it tells me to recover settings again.

I hope there's someone out there who's encountered the same issue. It's not life threatening, it's really just annoying that I have to come into BIOS to set XMP every single time I turn my PC on.
General Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K running @stock
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz
GPU: nVidia GTX 980Ti running @ stock
Motherboard: ASUS z97-A

2HvdKv6.png

NRjJdnp.png

n9I2jss.png

zqrd9M0.png

esKY7Rd.png

txM56vt.png

Solution
Perhaps a weak CMOS battery?

I've had where a weak CMOS battery will hold the settings for a while...so if I restart within a certain period of time my BIOS doesn't lose info, but if I wait too long it does.

lolmachine

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

Thanks for replying! Does it also drop the date and time settings on yours? Or does it keep date and time but not the rest of the settings?

lolmachine

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

Gotcha buddy. Well time to pick up a cr2032 and find out. I’ll post my findings soon as I can.

lolmachine

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014

Hey! I'm back and I think replacing the CMOS battery did it! Although it's weird that it kept the date and time settings but not XMP settings, changing the battery definitely did it for me. No more setting up BIOS everytime I start my computer. Thanks man. Cheers!