Enter to Win Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer RAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinabas

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Would it be too much to ask for a computer that only has lights for power and hard drive activity. Maybe one more for the power supply for safety's sake. I don't want a video card that glows with a fan that glow next to a cpu fan that glows next to ram that glows on a motherboard that glows. Who told them that lights were cool. (By them I mean every hardware manufacturer.) Last time I check there wasn't an aftermarket cpu cooler on the egg that didn't light up except 2 low profile server models and one old on for LGA775.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
first: Contest is limited to residents of the USA... come on... this is a world wide website.
second... we already have 4GB ram from another company, so we would have to give up those for these.. pretty pointless.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]we already have 4GB ram from another company, so we would have to give up those for these.. pretty pointless.[/citation]
Yeah, that free stuff is a ripoff!

tomsresults

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Yeah, that free stuff is a ripoff![/citation]
Yeah, I just hate free stuff. And i am going to leave a long rant about how the free stuff isn't good enough.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]zinabas[/nom]*snip* Last time I check there wasn't an aftermarket cpu cooler on the egg that didn't light up except 2 low profile server models and one old on for LGA775.[/citation]
All Prolimatech Coolers? All Noctua Coolers? All Scythe Coolers? Most Arctic Cooling Coolers? At least half the Coolermaster Coolers?

All of the above DON'T have LED Fans, therefor don't glow.. OH and the majority work on 775, 1555/1556, 1366, and AM2/+, AM3.

So either your search criteria on NewEgg is very limited, or you're just blind/dumb... In fact, the first two pages (of 12) of CPU Coolers on NewEgg have only a few LED coolers listed, most are non LED.. LOL!

But I do agree, LEDs on your RAM modules? Hope they're powered externally not over the RAM Bus... o_O

slothy89 they are powered by the RAM bus. I have the DDR2 modules still hanging around, the LEDs blink adn change colo faster when the amont of work the RAM is doing increases esp when doing Memtest 86. The blue led lighitng the DIMM's underneath are on when the system comes on and dont change.

It add's some color to a otherwise blank spot of your motherboard.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Snipergod87[/nom]slothy89 they are powered by the RAM bus. I have the DDR2 modules still hanging around, the LEDs blink adn change colo faster when the amont of work the RAM is doing increases esp when doing Memtest 86. The blue led lighitng the DIMM's underneath are on when the system comes on and dont change.It add's some color to a otherwise blank spot of your motherboard.[/citation]
or you could get decent ram, aka corsair, and buy an LED rope or cathodes if you want colour.. and that will fill the whole case, eliminating "blank spots" :)

the reason I mention hoping the power doesnt come from the bus is that it would add extra strain to it, so overclocking wouldnt be as stable. unnecessary to say the least

[citation][nom]slothy89[/nom]or you could get decent ram, aka corsair, and buy an LED rope or cathodes if you want colour.. and that will fill the whole case, eliminating "blank spots" the reason I mention hoping the power doesnt come from the bus is that it would add extra strain to it, so overclocking wouldnt be as stable. unnecessary to say the least[/citation]

The strain is pretty minimal, my system that had the DDR2 version in it has 4 sticks running at 1066 (1057 due to OC) when the board itself only supports 2 sticks at 1066 or 4 sticks at 800.

I cant speak about how it affects overclocking as DDR2 RAM doesnt like going much beyond 1066 but I have hit 1100.

a sandwhich

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Every time I look in hope, and every time I see: "Contest is limited to residents of the USA (Excluding R.I.) 18 years of age and older". And every time I curse under my breath.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Like tracer kits. Awesome stuff. They hookes up kansas lan this byear with A 6 gig kit and the kid who won it about fainted. (Thanks bawls!) He was sad though because he didn't have a comp that ran ddr 3 tho. A little trading and someone else got the kit and everyone was happy.... good times

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]a sandwhich[/nom]Every time I look in hope, and every time I see: "Contest is limited to residents of the USA (Excluding R.I.) 18 years of age and older". And every time I curse under my breath.[/citation]

You asked this in another thread and the "journalist" that wrote the article answered your question pretty well.

@kimyeang. could be they don't want to pay the extra shipping and fees to ship out of country kinda like why they don't ship to R.I. just for some free stuff. There are also laws in some states where such things are considered under the gambling laws which is illegal almost everywhere.

I had a friend in Texas tell me you couldn't give away things as prizes for winning a say LAN competition because it was considered such. I never checked the validity of it but if it is something that happens perhaps R.I. has much more strict laws on it.

But ill pass on the ram the lights make it look stupid. GL to those who enter though.

dukenukem

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
From the contest rules...

YOU MAY SUBMIT ONLY ONE ENTRY. MULTIPLE ENTRIES FROM THE SAME PERSON WILL ALL BE DISCARDED. AN ENTRANT MAY WIN ONLY ONE PRIZE.

Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received.

What? Such a nice contradiction, did someone read them before posting them up?

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]You asked this in another thread and the "journalist" that wrote the article answered your question pretty well.@kimyeang. could be they don't want to pay the extra shipping and fees to ship out of country kinda like why they don't ship to R.I. just for some free stuff. There are also laws in some states where such things are considered under the gambling laws which is illegal almost everywhere.I had a friend in Texas tell me you couldn't give away things as prizes for winning a say LAN competition because it was considered such. I never checked the validity of it but if it is something that happens perhaps R.I. has much more strict laws on it.But ill pass on the ram the lights make it look stupid. GL to those who enter though.[/citation]

I'd say they must then just say if you dont like in the US you must pay the shipping costs. I would gladly pay the shipping costs for the free RAM.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
nothing more ideotic than hardware that serves no performance purpose.
Artistic hardware can be nice, but within limits.
Most computer cases are solid and don't need a christmas tree on lights.
It seems lately everything is with leds. Leds that serve no purpose but slow down the computer, and increase internal case temperature.

Led-lit Sata cables, led lit fans, led lit graphics cards and powersupplies, now led lit RAM?
Where is this world heading to?

Status
Not open for further replies.