[SOLVED] Enterprise network software for routers.

Feb 13, 2020
I appoligise in advance for my lack of knowledge in this area, i just started a new job in tech support for a small ISP, and currently we use microtiks for the enterprise managment. I was curious if there is any way to use a similar software on a different type of router. Id like to move us away to something better for us cost wise and better for our customers. We do use static IPs if thats important. Again i appoligise if this is a foolish question routers are just not my area of expertise.

Solution
Not sure what you mean by "managment". Anything related to configuration is always proprietary. Things like netgear,linksys, asus etc are consumer targeted devices. They assume you only 1 router or maybe 2. It is just as easy to manually update and configure them so there is no need for any centralized software.

There are third party software packages that are designed for enterprise management of both server farms and network equipment. A example would be solarwinds. This is likely sold to customers larger than you. Still it is all based on SNMP. Most commercial equipment supports monitoring and configuration via SNMP. It is still very proprietary but these third party companies have integrated mulitple brands of...
Feb 13, 2020
Mikrotik are some of the lowest cost high performance routers available. I would be surprised if you could match the price/performance with another brand.
But is there anything different? Say for instance if i wanted to use a netgear would i be able to use the same enterprise managment? Is it just simple software i would be able to swap over or is it proprietary software specifically for mikroticks?

Not sure what you mean by "managment". Anything related to configuration is always proprietary. Things like netgear,linksys, asus etc are consumer targeted devices. They assume you only 1 router or maybe 2. It is just as easy to manually update and configure them so there is no need for any centralized software.

There are third party software packages that are designed for enterprise management of both server farms and network equipment. A example would be solarwinds. This is likely sold to customers larger than you. Still it is all based on SNMP. Most commercial equipment supports monitoring and configuration via SNMP. It is still very proprietary but these third party companies have integrated mulitple brands of equipment together.

I am unsure what microtik supports via snmp. It really is not in the same class as say cisco,juniper or HP.

Consumer grade equipment generally has no ability at all to support SNMP so they are incompatible. Then again someone who can afford a package like solarwinds can also afford true enterprise grade network equipment.

Solution