Enthusiast Looking for a first water cooling setup.

Miitch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Ok hello guys i have spent awhile doing research on a build i want which is really overkill but i want it regardless,

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£289.57 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£109.96 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (£267.54 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£171.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£95.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£454.37 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£454.37 @ Ebuyer)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case (£157.05 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£94.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£52.98 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.35 @ Aria PC)
SSD: 1TB EVO SSD

I want to add a custom water cooling setup, I cant install this myself i would have someone else do it, Im not sure if places like scan.co.uk could do it, But anyway does anyone have a top reccomendation for pump,radiator,reservoir is that all i need since the tubing is my preference for colour and the same for the water and fittings.

I want too cool my cpu, and SLI (Gtx980s) or the future Gtx (980ti in SLI) Possibly also my ram, so will all this fit inside the NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case and how much will it cost, i want top parts for water cooling since the rig is expensive.

Solution
EVGA typically uses Nvidia reference PCB unless it's a non-standard memory arrangement. They are one of the most 'reference' friendly Nvidia vendors out there when it comes to waterblock fitment. http://www.coolingconfigurator.com You can use this to at least find out if your card is Nvidia reference or not.

There are many brands out there that are quality when it comes to watercooling gear...it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. It all works together given you use the correct size tubing and fittings between each component. You're also going to want to determine total loop TDP in order to scale your radiator and pump needs, appropriately.

The watercooling sticky is linked in my sig line below.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Well to start you can drop that All-in-one liquid cooler from the build list. Otherwise, do you have a particular brand preference? I think you can do it on your own, the hardest part is picking decent parts and the wait while you do a leak test. There are plenty of youtube tutorials and if you run into confusion you can also come back to TH to ask us.

You may run into issues liquid cooling your 980's as they are not OEM design, so I would reconsider that choice. For ease of selection start with a kit, buy the GPU blocks separately, and some extra tubing and fittings for them, for SLI they have cooling connectors for GPU's, and that makes the task a lot simpler.

Miitch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

I am just wondering whats the price on cooling a system with a cpu and sli cards, I dont want a cheap water cooling system, And what do you mean the 980's would be a problem?

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014

It can range from 400 to 650 for a decent setup. And again the 980's could be a problem because the acx style GPU from evga is physically different from nvidias design. You need to pick one with built in cooling blocks or a reference design card with the titan cooler to inegrate them in a loop. Otherwise you won't find a block that will fit.

Miitch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

I am a noob and i didnt really understand what you are saying :). Basically the 980's are not able to have water blocks added on yet?

should i wait for the 980Ti until i buy a water cooling kit?

And can you reccomend me the top end water cooling parts atm if you know them.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
EVGA typically uses Nvidia reference PCB unless it's a non-standard memory arrangement. They are one of the most 'reference' friendly Nvidia vendors out there when it comes to waterblock fitment. http://www.coolingconfigurator.com You can use this to at least find out if your card is Nvidia reference or not.

There are many brands out there that are quality when it comes to watercooling gear...it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. It all works together given you use the correct size tubing and fittings between each component. You're also going to want to determine total loop TDP in order to scale your radiator and pump needs, appropriately.

The watercooling sticky is linked in my sig line below.

Solution