Question Entire computer is “Read-only” and cannot be changed

tk423

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hey everybody. So my computer recently installed some Windows 10 updates and now absolutely everything on my computer (C drive, external hard drives, everything) is “Read-only” and cannot be changed. Right clicking on folders or files and unchecking the “Read-only” box does nothing to fix it. Even new files created are automatically “Read-only”.

I am logged in with my admin account. There is one other guest account on the computer.

I followed the guide here - https://blog.switchfast.com/solved-windows-10-upgrade-changed-all-documents-to-read-only - but it did nothing to fix the issue.

This is a catastrophic issue and I’m hoping somebody can help me to fix this. How the hell did this even happen?

Colif

Win 11 Master
It's actually normal, all windows 10 folders are read only. No point trying to change it, they just change back again. They have been that way since 2015.

It shouldn't matter as if you have right permissions you can still save to most folders.

Some folders aren't owned by you. Win 10 has users called SYSTEM and Trusted INstaller that may have more rights to some folders than you do, as it lets them do their jobs and help you do whatever tasks you ask them to do.

What folders can't you change?

tk423

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
"What folders can't you change?"

Every single file and folder on the computer. PDF work documents, game saves and config files. Literally everything.

For instance, I can't save highlights, notes or comments in any of my PDF files, since they are now all ready only.

This is not the case on my laptop, and wasn't the case on my desktop before the latest Windows update. I get that there are certain system files and folders that "belong" to Windows. It's not those that are my concern, it's literally everything else I have to work with.

What is the disk status shown in Disk Management? Is it Online or is it Read-only?

E.g.:
Disk-Management-Disk-Status.jpg