[SOLVED] Entire laptop starts lagging like crazy upon playing game

Apr 26, 2022
I'm using a ASUS TUF GAMING 2020 FA506IU model, im having an issue where my laptop runs smooth without any issue, until i decided to play a game, the laptop still works fine in the game menu, but after i enter the actual game (Genshin Impact and Dota 2 in my case), after a few minutes or sometimes almost instantly, the entire laptop will start lagging, even after exiting the game, checked task manager, cpu and memory are running ok both below 50%. And if i restart the laptop under this condition, the laptop will take like 5 minutes just to boot up again whereas normally it will only takes like 5 sec. This issue only started to happen recently so suspect it might be some kind of hardware failure or some overheating issue but im not sure. Anyone has a way to fix it or maybe identify whats causing this issue?

Solution
I'm not a pro when it comes to AMD or laptops, but I'd say that your system is indeed running hot, and you likely are experiencing thermal throttling. Do some research if you're not familiar with any of my suggestions..
Since the laptop is relatively new, try first blowing out the system using compressed air. Hopefully it's just a bit dusty, and this will return the laptop to being more efficient at cooling.
If not, you may want to re-do the thermal paste on the CPU.
You may also consider getting a decent cooling pad (fans) for under the laptop to increase air intake. Always game on a hard surface.
Apr 26, 2022
Could well be thermal throttling due to overheating. Run HWInfo (free) while gaming and see what temps it records
While idle the temps are as below:
Ryzen 7 4800H: 68.9 °C
Integrated Radeon: 62 °C
GTX1660 ti : 50.2

And the moment i run the game, it only takes like few seconds to achieve the temperature below:
Ryzen 7 4800H: 99.4°C
Integrated Radeon: 93°C
GTX 1660 ti: 85.8°C

And the games running at a decent 60fps with no issues for over 45minutes before the entire laptop started lagging again. And after i alt f4 out of the game, the temps immediately drop in a few seconds as well to:
Ryzen 7 4800H: 52°C
Integrated Radeon: 48°C
GTX 1660 ti: 52°C

And i also noticed the temps for my 1660ti are going jumping back and forth from 52 to 0°C , and also i think its worth mentioning that i set all my preferred gpu for all my games as the 1660ti via nvidia control panel

I'm not a pro when it comes to AMD or laptops, but I'd say that your system is indeed running hot, and you likely are experiencing thermal throttling. Do some research if you're not familiar with any of my suggestions..
Since the laptop is relatively new, try first blowing out the system using compressed air. Hopefully it's just a bit dusty, and this will return the laptop to being more efficient at cooling.
If not, you may want to re-do the thermal paste on the CPU.
You may also consider getting a decent cooling pad (fans) for under the laptop to increase air intake. Always game on a hard surface.

Solution