[SOLVED] Entire System Broken?

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Hello, recently yesterday and today I've been having some huge issues with my pc: one of my keyboards ceased to function, my pc now takes a couple of MINUTES to wake from sleep, all of my games are running very poorly, and the pc in general is acting extremely slow. The only change I made prior to this happening was replacing my 520W power supply with a new 750W one. So far, I've used Driver Booster to install 23 new drivers (didn't work), tried running many virus scans with RKill, Malwarebytes, and Windows Defender (didn't work), and also tried updating Windows (didn't work). I'm honestly just confounded and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs: RX580, Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro EA750G, Asus Prime B450-M, 2 Monitors

Let me know if you need any more information.

Solution
Wow, there is a lot going on in here....

So, just to be sure I have a time line correct on this.
You have computer with 2200G and RX580 that starts to run poorly. I think you called it "the CPU bottlenecking the system".
Your solution is to add a 3700X.
You then determine over a several month period of time that (other) ongoing issues with your system led you to replace the power supply with one presumably with more current and now the system is crashing.

You mentioned WORK computer, like this is actually their physical machine?
You mention having a HDD as primary.

In theory, if you have the permissions you should be able to type "Optimize Disks" in the search window and have options to defrag/check for errors and so forth.

I...

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Why did you feel the need to change out your psu?
Antec is good quality, but your issues seem to have followed the psu change.
If you swap back to the old psu, does that fix things?
I had to swap out the psu because my old 520W Bronze one was causing my pc to crash. And no, I haven't tried seeing if the problem happens with my old psu, but the thing is the old psu was a problem itself.

How did you tie the old psu to your pc crash problem?
Likely, your psu upgrade was a good thing, regardless.
Your new unit is excellent quality.

But, possibly the change just shifted the symptoms of some other underlying problem.
I would avoid helper apps. They do nothing that you can not do yourself.
Some of them install tracking or even malware. That is how they make their money.
Go over all of your drivers and download them directly from the official source.

If you have a system restore checkpoint from before, when all was well, see if you can't reset your pc back to then.

Is your motherboard bios up to date?
If not, does an update look like it might address your symptoms?

I think your issues are software related and not hardware related.
Would a clean re-install of windows be a very bad problem?

How much space is used on the HDD?
Consider buying a SSD for the C drive regardless. It really does make everything much quicker.
You could try a clean install on the ssd and see if your issues go away, (Disconnect the HDD or any other drives while installing windows)

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
How did you tie the old psu to your pc crash problem?
Likely, your psu upgrade was a good thing, regardless.
Your new unit is excellent quality.

But, possibly the change just shifted the symptoms of some other underlying problem.
I would avoid helper apps. They do nothing that you can not do yourself.
Some of them install tracking or even malware. That is how they make their money.
Go over all of your drivers and download them directly from the official source.

If you have a system restore checkpoint from before, when all was well, see if you can't reset your pc back to then.

Is your motherboard bios up to date?
If not, does an update look like it might address your symptoms?

I think your issues are software related and not hardware related.
Would a clean re-install of windows be a very bad problem?

How much space is used on the HDD?
Consider buying a SSD for the C drive regardless. It really does make everything much quicker.
You could try a clean install on the ssd and see if your issues go away, (Disconnect the HDD or any other drives while installing windows)
1. I knew my crashing issue was a power problem because I spent months troubleshooting it: at first I thought it was heat related, so I bought more fans for my case. That didn't work. Then I thought it was my old 2200G bottlenecking my pc, so I bought a 3700X. That didn't work either. So then I had it narrowed down to a power issue, as it made sense my really old (M12II Evo) 520W Bronze would be failing for how cheap and old it is.

2. Which drivers do you recommend I download directly? I recently downloaded new GPU drivers from the official source, but the 23 I updated recently were through Driver Booster.

3. How do I know if I have a system restore checkpoint?

4. Yes, I just updated my bios when I installed my 3700X.

5. Does a clean install of Windows come with any downsides? (Losing data, driver reinstalls, etc.)

6. I have around 570 GB available on my hard drive. I plan on buying an ssd soon, however I just spent what money I had saved on my power supply, so it will be a bit before I am able to afford one.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Third party driver installers never get it right, only install drivers from official sites. And that might be the problem. I would recommend a format and fresh install of windows. And straight after a good anti virus. Then drivers from official websites only.

And yes, a fresh install will delete all data on primary storage. Make back up of your data you want to keep. After fresh windows install and anti virus install, scan your back up

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Third party driver installers never get it right, only install drivers from official sites. And that might be the problem. I would recommend a format and fresh install of windows. And straight after a good anti virus. Then drivers from official websites only.

And yes, a fresh install will delete all data on primary storage. Make back up of your data you want to keep. After fresh windows install and anti virus install, scan your back up
I'd like to try a system restore checkpoint first, would that be worth trying? Also, my pc was behaving poorly BEFORE I used the driver installer, I had used it to try and remedy my pc's issue.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Try the system restore point. If you pc was underperforming, then it might be something else. Check your running processes for sispicous activity
My pc was functioning perfectly fine like 3 days ago. Is there anything I need to know about a system restore point? (Deleting data, driver reinstalls, duration, etc.)

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
It wont take long, any programs or data copied after last restore point was created, will be removed
So, just to clarify, as I don't like doing stuff like this without being 100% sure it won't mess my pc up further, the system restore point will literally just revert my pc to the state it was at the time of the restore point with no strings attached? I know it will delete data written after the restore point, but I just want to be sure it won't do anything more.