Entire System Is "Laggy"

JWelker5

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Really unsure what happened. This morning my computer was running as normal, log on later today and just the whole system (even at desktop) feels laggy.

It feels like the frame rate has dropped; but any of the games I play it says I still get my max frame rate (150) but actually playing it it feels closer to 30-40.

Same with desktop, just not as smooth as what it always is.

-I restarted
- I do not have any cooling issues
- I've updated drivers/everything I can think of
- I did a full system restore back to factory
-Defragged, downloaded and ran ccleaner.

I'm really just out of ideas; the bullets are in the order I did things.

Specs:
Geforce GTX 980 Ti (6GB)
i7-4770
8GB Ram
Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150
Intel 530 180GB 2.5-Inch Internal SSD (for the OS and other main items)
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thank you all for the help, let me know if anything else could possibly help.

Is there some sort of software running? Maybe a windows update or antivirus scan taking place. Those type of background tasks will cause the system to lag pretty bad.

Have you checked the task manager to see if something is using the cpu or if there's excessive drive activity?

If the problem is not related to some software running as said, a defragment program, or an antivirus scan or sweep of the hard drives in your system.

Then you should install a program to monitor the tempreture of your cpu, and the clock speed the cpu is running at.

A cpu that get`s to hot will attempt to lower its normal core speed from a Ghz setting down to as low as 800 Mhz operating speed in order to cool down the processor to prevent any heat damage to the cpu.

When this happens you will notice the difference, because it takes longer to launch a game or a program when selected.
It can also due to the core speed lowering because the cpu is getting to hot a drastic reduction in frame rates in games.

Or any video files played will be jerky or you will get picture breakup of the video being played.
Sound from the motherboard can also be effected where you will hear slight interrupts or glitches in the sound being played back.

Running low on system memory will also cause the same effect if windows then starts to use virtual memory.
Basically where when free system memory is running very low, it uses the hard disk drive of the system for swapping multiple programs when running from the ram left to the hard disk drive when for example you are switching between programs.

Below is a more in depth explanation of what virtual memory does on a system with a windows os installed if physical ram becomes very low for storage and running of programs on windows.
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/virtual-memory

JWelker5

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Problem is all solved, I feel like an idiot.
If anyone has the problem in the future, try unplugging the monitor from the monitor side, I had only unplugged it from the desktop side (unhooking everything to spray out the dust).