[SOLVED] Entire system lags during source engine based games loading.

arvindsagar702

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
I have recently got a new monitor and am now running a dual monitor setup but I didb't realise it until now that whenever either CSGO or Apex Legends is loading a game or just starting up anything on the entirre system starts lagging, except any audio being played. So if a video is playing on the second monitor it just stops playing until either game is fully loaded and I can't alt+tab or anything during this time.
Is this just a source engine thing or something wrong with my system ? However no other game(ex. Rainbow6,Overwatch,Dota2,Code Vein etc.) causes this issue, temps are fine too since I monitor them using Rivatuner, and both games are on SSD.

My Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X all cores oced to 4.1ghz. at 1.325 core voltage under a custom fan preset for corsair h115i pro cooler.
Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Windforce also with a custom fan preset.
Adata XPG SX8200pro SSD 512GB.
Windows 10 Pro v18362.476.
Asus C6 Hero mobo.
Corsair RM850x PSU.
GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000Mhz 8GBx2.

Softwares used while playing: Bitdefender 2019.
Rivatuner + MSI Afterburner.
Bitmeter2.
Steam.
Origin.
Google Chrome.
Logitech HUB.
NVIDIA Geforce Experience for shadowplay with instant replay on which is saving on an hdd .
Nordvpn service.
Teamviewer Service.
Discord.

Solution
1.325v is pretty high for that processor, you should drop it down to 1.25'ish if you want that processor to survive a long while. If you're on 1903, update the OS to 1909 and see if the issue persists. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard as well.

Lutfij

Titan
1.325v is pretty high for that processor, you should drop it down to 1.25'ish if you want that processor to survive a long while. If you're on 1903, update the OS to 1909 and see if the issue persists. Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard as well.

Reactions: arvindsagar702
Solution

arvindsagar702

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Ty, I thought windows auto updated but the upgrade to 1909 wasn't . So i did that, disabled RTSS for apex because maybe its hooking could be the reason ? Then updated to bios which got a new revision on 6th nov. Enabled SMT, reduced vcore to 1.3v at 4.1 ghz all cores. Set CPU LLC to level 4, mobo had 5 levels so i think 4 means 80%. Set 1.35v dram . And thats pretty much it, hwmonitor reads cpu vcore at 1.281v for 100% load all cores on prime95 smaller FFTs at 70c constant . And ran my 1080ti at furmark 8x MSAA 1080p with prime95 just to check stability and everything's stable for now atleast. After 6 hrs of Apex and 2 hrs of Skyrim I have found no stability issues and the main issue is lighter now. Like the entire system kind of lags (not freezes , video plays but at like 2 FPS ) for a lot shorter duration during the loading . This is pretty nice , i think I am content with this solution.

Btw , would the higher voltage harm if the temps are controlled ?