Question Entry level gaming on budget (for son)

Apr 20, 2019
My 12yr old is getting into gaming (mostly plays on Xbox One X) and wants to build an entry level PC so he can do much more. He's paying for most of this on his own from saving up, so we are trying hard to balance keeping the cost down and allowing for upgrading in a few years. Ideally we get it sub $400 without the GPU, but not sure how. Here's what he has put together.

We have a microcenter close by and they have a lot of items on sale, including the CPU/Motherboard combo.

Here's the GPU he was looking at:

I listed it separate because it blows the budget and I have a Geforce GTX 1050 Ti, which seems close in performance to the RX 580. I can give him the 1050 Ti and simply replace it with a cheap card as I don't need to game on the PC it is currently in. He also believes he can buy a windows 10 license for $15 (I'm skeptical).

From all the threads I've read, you guys are great at finding different tweaks and better options, so please let me know any thoughts as I try and help him!

kanewolf

Titan
Your choice of a single 8GB DIMM will limit performance. You will be better off with a matched set of two 4GB DIMMs. With a 500GB SSD, the 2 TB DISK may not be required for a gaming PC. A SATA SSD like an MX500 would also be fine and might save a few $$$.

Corsair Carbide Spec-04 Case $19.99 after rebate with Newegg coupon code EMCTYVV35:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-_-ComputerCases-_-11139095-S2A4C&ignorebbr=1

Phanteks Eclipse P300 PH-EC300PTG_BK Black Steel Chassis, Tempered Glass Window ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $55.99 after rebate (expires Wednesday):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-_-ComputerCases-_-11854068-S1A6A&ignorebbr=1

Seasonic focus 650 is $61.99 after rebate at Newegg. Not cheaper, but better quality.

Corsair 275R $55 today:

I'll keep digging.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019
Ready to build this with my son. He's been searching and investigating quite a bit and hoping to buy some of the parts tomorrow. Ryzen 5 seems by far the best value in CPU. Not certain on the motherboard (it's good, but perhaps not the best value as the $99 includes a $30 bundle discount for buying CPU). Per Kanewolf's suggestion, looking at a matching set of DIMMs, but he's looking at 16GB total (not certain on the ones chosen). Case is a little expensive, but he really liked it (comes with 3 RGB fans). We missed the Seasonic power supply deal unfortunately.

Latest update.

If anyone has any thoughts/ideas, would love to hear them.